6foot tank or larger owners I have questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am curious. I would love a 6foot tank but most likely won't get one for a really long time but, if you don't mind I have a curious mind about the initial expenses
  • What size tank do you have and how much did you pay for just the tank ?
  • Where did you get your tank from ?
  • Did you buy a stand or build one?
  • How much was your lighting?
  • Is it glass or acrylic?
  • Did you have to re-inforce your flooring?

1. I have a 125 gallon tank and paid 350.00 brand new
2. Bought it from the LFS
3. I bought the stand but did not get a canopy.
4. I got VHO retro fits and paid 250.00 for the LFS to build it.
5. Glass
6. Not yet but I am concerned and want to check it out.

And of course here is my tank. I just have a reflector dome over 2 50/50 and 2 super actinic bulbs. It also has a 40 gallon long tank under it as a refugium.

img_925447_0_c4eed45dab6c83f26042a1f91520eb57.jpg

img_925447_1_245f56a3d021848615d3522c28463f32.jpg

Well, I got a new tank second-hand for $200 from another member on here. It's a standard glass tank and I bought the stand locally. I'm only running 312W of light, so probably not relevant to your SW question, and I set it up in the basement so no concerns of reinforcing the floor.

1- 125 Perfecto CornerFlo Reef Ready - $269 brand new
2- That Fish Place
3- Built stand/canopy
4- Lights: 3 new Iwasaki MH bulbs $70 ea, 3 new reflectors $30 ea, 1 new ballast - I already had 2 ($25), VHO electronic ballast $50, 2 6' VHO bulbs $25 ea
5- Glass
6- Yes, probably didn't need to, but used a house jack under the tank in the basement

I have a 125 gal tank used, came with stand, lights, 2 cannister filters and heaters, glass tops, substrate and rocks, paid $1000.00. Also have a 135 gal got a steal, came with stand, lights, substrate, glass tops, ornaments, 2 HOB's and 1 cannister filter for $500.00.

The 125 gal runs perpendicular to the joists so no reinforcement was required. The 135 runs parellel to the joists so I added 2x6 reinforcements as a precaution.

I have a 125 Glass. I got it from a LFS that was going out of business. I paid around $1000 for the tank and majestic stand. I also have it running along the center joist, so I didn't reinforce the floor.
Neilan, that was supposed to be a reef tank!

I just bought a 180-gallon 6-footer

1. 72x24x24 $1200 with 2-overflows, black back and thicker acrylic
2. LFS ordered it from a well known acrylic tank company
3. Purchased from LFS stand and canopy $686
4. I think between 2-halide reflectors ballasts and bulbs it will cost around $600... I am going to try to utilize the VHOs I have now for supplemental actinic lighting.
5. Acrylic- only because I live in California. Otherwise I would get glass with a Starphire front panel
6. No reinforcement my house is on a concrete slab and the tank is on the first floor.

55 gal to 75 gal

Looking at starting a 55 to 75 gal. Unfortunately I have moved out of the burbs and into a condo in chicago. I wanted to put the tank in my office. The floor scares me. I hear people reinforcing their home floors. I wouldn't know where to start here. Figure it will be about 650 pounds to 800 pounds.... just an estimate. Any input from anyone in a condo? Thanks

The 125 gal runs perpendicular to the joists so no reinforcement was required. The 135 runs parellel to the joists so I added 2x6 reinforcements as a precaution.

I did the same thing with reinforcement. If you place it right, a 6' tank can sit over 4 joists. As long as you sit the tank close to where the joists are supported (such as an outside wall) you shouldn't have a problem.

What size tank do you have and how much did you pay for just the tank ? 150 gal cost a case of beer (freecycle)

Where did you get your tank from ? internet search on craigslist and several freecycle sites

Did you buy a stand or build one? Built mine...roughly$250 still have canopy to build

How much was your lighting? Lighting is going to be MH and will be costing right around $650

Is it glass or acrylic? Glass

Did you have to re-inforce your flooring? no I have a 85 year old house and the joists are 4-6" X 12-18" ....extremely well built back then. I actually have 3 joists that are 10 inches wide and 16 inches high
Good luck with your build!!!

Gets expensive!

Hi,
My 2 cents= I am in the process of putting in a 175 Gallon glass tank ($200 used). We had to put some lift jacks under the floor for added support (yes a must) we built our stand from 4x4 posts, drilled our own holes for return and overflows. Solaris LED lights were the most expensive. LifeReef custom Berlin Sump System w refugium. LR, LS and all the makings. My total bill for everything new has reached 5 figures (and no fish or coral yet) but almost half of that was in lights! I splurged a bit as I made the mistake with my FowlR tank of going cheap on a lot of stuff and paid the price for it not only with dead fish but with mechanicals constantly needing meintenance. : (
It will be sooooooooo worth it though!!
Lori

Back
Top Bottom