Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-13-2008, 01:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by Zagz View Post
The 125 gal runs perpendicular to the joists so no reinforcement was required. The 135 runs parellel to the joists so I added 2x6 reinforcements as a precaution.
I did the same thing with reinforcement. If you place it right, a 6' tank can sit over 4 joists. As long as you sit the tank close to where the joists are supported (such as an outside wall) you shouldn't have a problem.

RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:56 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via Yahoo to intimatecple
What size tank do you have and how much did you pay for just the tank ? 150 gal cost a case of beer (freecycle)

Where did you get your tank from ? internet search on craigslist and several freecycle sites

Did you buy a stand or build one? Built mine...roughly$250 still have canopy to build

How much was your lighting? Lighting is going to be MH and will be costing right around $650

Is it glass or acrylic? Glass

Did you have to re-inforce your flooring? no I have a 85 year old house and the joists are 4-6" X 12-18" ....extremely well built back then. I actually have 3 joists that are 10 inches wide and 16 inches high
Good luck with your build!!!

intimatecple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:00 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Gets expensive!

My 2 cents= I am in the process of putting in a 175 Gallon glass tank ($200 used). We had to put some lift jacks under the floor for added support (yes a must) we built our stand from 4x4 posts, drilled our own holes for return and overflows. Solaris LED lights were the most expensive. LifeReef custom Berlin Sump System w refugium. LR, LS and all the makings. My total bill for everything new has reached 5 figures (and no fish or coral yet) but almost half of that was in lights! I splurged a bit as I made the mistake with my FowlR tank of going cheap on a lot of stuff and paid the price for it not only with dead fish but with mechanicals constantly needing meintenance. : (
It will be sooooooooo worth it though!!

LoriB is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com