Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2016, 12:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

7-10x GPH??

Is the 7-10 GPH really the rule of thumb? Is it best from your experience?
I've seen a lot of different opinion. For me, it means the difference between 1 HOB and 2.

Also, if I stay with one HOB, is a single heater enough for a 48" tank, in your opinion?

Old 07-14-2016, 08:37 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

In general I think two filters and two heaters are easier for cleaning and safer if anything happens to one. On a large 4ft tank I found one heater was struggling to catch up but guess it depends on your winters as well. Very cold your way?

Old 07-14-2016, 08:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
In general I think two filters and two heaters are easier for cleaning and safer if anything happens to one. On a large 4ft tank I found one heater was struggling to catch up but guess it depends on your winters as well. Very cold your way?
Not at all. We might get 10-15 days a year below 25 degrees F. Summers are very hot.
I think I'll start with with one filter/heater and perhaps add another one of each in a few months. I like the redundancy, and while I don't plan to overstock, I want the tank to be full.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 07-14-2016, 09:07 AM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Gosh that warm weather sounds nice at the moment. I can't do the conversion but it has been winter here with say 5C (into frosts) and trying to keep the tank around 25C (~76F).
Old 07-14-2016, 09:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Gosh that warm weather sounds nice at the moment. I can't do the conversion but it has been winter here with say 5C (into frosts) and trying to keep the tank around 25C (~76F).
About 90-92 at the moment (32-33 C), actually a little cooler than last week. Very humid, though.

I'm aiming at about 77F on the tank, which shouldn't be much of a problem as long as the heater works.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:13 PM   #6
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

90*/92* with those temps your not likely going to see 77* in your tank at-least in the hotter months , your heater isn't going to help keep the tank cool because it has a thermostat in it , I have to unplug my heaters in the summer . keeping fans blasting the water surface to keep it cool on 90*/95* , I have had tanks way into the danger zone well above 90* I never want to go through that again , I struggle in the summer to keep things cool me included , I can relate to your temps in Alabama I was next door in Pensacola for a few years.
54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
90*/92* with those temps your not likely going to see 77* in your tank at-least in the hotter months , your heater isn't going to help keep the tank cool because it has a thermostat in it , I have to unplug my heaters in the summer . keeping fans blasting the water surface to keep it cool on 90*/95* , I have had tanks way into the danger zone well above 90* I never want to go through that again , I struggle in the summer to keep things cool me included , I can relate to your temps in Alabama I was next door in Pensacola for a few years.
As long as the AC is working, we should be good. You ever deal with Emerald Coast Tropicals in Navarre when you were there? I've been talking with them some online.

Tags
gph

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com