70 Gallon Filter For 30 Gallon Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wmc2009

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm just curious if adding double the filtration on my tank will allow for a few more fish or does the same rule 1 gallon for every inch of fish still apply?

Don't use the Gallon per inch rule too literally....It depends on the Fish. Do some research on the web or ask here in regards to the type of fish you have or looking to get. (Also the Search function here is good)

For Example an Oscar needs a lot of filtration and the inch a gallon doesn't really apply due to its heavy Bio load.(messy eater, eats a ton and provides a lot of waste) It is always good to 2x the size tank you have. You really can't go wrong with too much. A lot of the gph flow rating is without Filter media. So if you are looking to be covered go with the 70 gallon rated filter.

I am the extreme I have a Penguin 350 and a Aquaclear 70 on my 30 gallon. Ends up to be like 500 gph, but I am still stocking..It is a African Cichlid tank.

Dear Wmc2009,

Pton46 is right. It depends on what fish you have. I have goldfish which requires 10Xgallons/hour because they are messy. More filtration really doesn't allow one to overstock because the filtration does nothing for the nitrate level...the only thing that reduces it is more frequent, larger pwc.
Chris

Correct. You can't have too much filtration. But you can have too much flow. Some fish like angels and bettas prefer calm water with little current.

And you can always adjust the current by placing some filter floss or moss by the area where water comes out. :)

I have filtration for 200g for my 55g tank.

Another thing not mentioned is long-term filter flow.... If you have a 55g tank and a filter rated for a 60g, you're going to have to be religious in your maintenance because flow will gradually reduce due to detritus build-up. If, like Cornstar, you have a filtration capacity well in excess of your tank size, some reduction in flow isn't a concern, and full dissembly & clean-out of the system isn't required quite as often.

Back
Top Bottom