75 gal lighthing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leesanhua

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 75 gal tank and trying to use compact flurocent light strip. i am going to keep soft coral and LPS. is 3.5 watt per gallon enough? which is 4X65 watt for 75 gal tank.

I have the same lighting on a 55 gal. I always wonder about the wpg rating since our tanks are the same length but yours is about 5” wider and 1” taller but of course my wpg rating is 4.7 wpg. I think if you stick with low to medium light corals you still will be fine.

Fantasyreef’s medium light coral database is a good start for what type of corals you can keep with your current lighting.

You will be able to keep a nice variety of soft and LPS corals with this lighiting. Leathers, zoos, mushrooms, trumpets, torch coral, hammer coral, green star polysp, yellow polyps and xenia are all good choices providing water parameters are okay.

well.. this tank will be the coral propagation tank which set up with egg crate. can i use the same lighting that i mention earlier and sit the SPS at the very top egg crate?

I would think the 150W Metal Halide would support the SPS just fine... I have a few variety of sps in my 55 and I am only using PC's at about 7.8 WPG.

I agree, you should be able to keep some SPS corals as long as you place then high in your tank.

Sorry, I mean the MH fixture. However, for a 75gal you will need two of those fixtures. Even 2x150 MH lighting is not a huge amount of light.

Back
Top Bottom