75 gal tank overhangs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh808

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hopefully I can get this right.
I recently built a stand for a 55 gal tank, but I discovered a crack in the tank that I couldn't overlook.
I decided to upgrade to a 75 gallon, but...
The stand was SLIGHTLY larger than the 55. The length is the same, but now the 18-18.5" width me and there's about 2" overhanging front and back.
I have decided instead of building a new stand to take an idea from another build I saw recently where the designer/builder I found on google built a stand similar to how mine is designed, but the top built from 2"x6" lumber with 45* corners painted and secured to the base is slightly longer and is wider than the stand to accommodate the 18-18.5" tank.
I believe the 2X6" wood used to top the stand will be sufficient, but would like a second and third opinion to say yes or no.
If I have to, I will build another stand/base, but this was my first attempt at carpentry and hope this will work. I will try and send pics from start to finish so you can see where the stands strength is.
I hope that's enough info.

??

In short, does the aquarium have to be supported entirely by the major supporting structure of 2x4's and 2x6's or is it safe for 2" to hang over front and rear on the 2x6 frame topper?

I don't have experience in building but IMO hanging over is not good. It's just putting pressure on the bottom of the tank and can weaken it? Not an expert JMO.

In short, does the aquarium have to be supported entirely by the major supporting structure of 2x4's and 2x6's or is it safe for 2" to hang over front and rear on the 2x6 frame topper?

What is the top made of? you should be able to make some adjustments and make it work. i.e. if the top is plywood just get a 18.5" x 48" x 3/4" and replace the top. I have NEVER seen a DIY stand that wasn't WAY overbuilt. The largest piece of lumber that is on my store bought stand for my 5 ft 120. is a 1x4 and it is not load bearing. all the load bearing lumber is 1x2

the compression force needed to crush a 1 foot 2x4 is 1330 lbs.

Stand

I will post pics as soon as I figure the resizing thing or just provide a photbucket link, but the supporting lumbers 2x6's and 2x4's. It appears stout enough, but I figure it doesn't hurt to get some other opinions.
Aloha...:cool:
By the way, it's sitting on 1/2 ply, but since I'm going to a larger tank, I am constructing a top 52"x20" from 2x6 plank as mentioned above. That's pretty. Stout and I hope it's sufficient.

i would just put a piece of 3/4" plywood on top of the stand and be done with it. or 2 pieces of 1/2".

3/4 ply

X, since I am already in the process of building the 2x6 top, maybe for added security, I'll top it with 3/4 ply...

overhang

Without pictures I can’t say the stand itself will hold the extra 200+ lbs of water/tank/rock but if you’re sure that part will support the weight then go for it. I build my tanks stands with double 3/4" plywood on top and over hang the edges all the time. I also run trim or router the edges to make it look nice.
The main thing is you don’t want the stand itself to be unstable.

Another thing you could do is put another section of 2x4 layed flat on the back of the stand to make your stand footprint as large as you need it. Then trim it out to make it look better.

Issue with laying 2x6 flat on top is that they can warp and may put stress on the tank.

Best of luck
Darwin

A 75-gallon tank weighs 626 pounds, and that's just the water. If your tank is made of glass a 2-inch overhang will cause serious stresses that could crack the tank, or warp an acrylic tank. I would enlarge the stand with extra 2 x 4s and then put a 3/4-inch sheet of marine plywood on top, with a felt pad on top of that, to distribute the weight and relieve stress. If the tank is not properly supported you will probably end up with cracks or leaks, and will have to drain the entire thing.

Since I already have the 2x6 top made, how about if I put two layers of 3/4" ply under the 2x6 top?
Does that seem strong enough.
I have seen tank stands for 75 gal made from way smaller lumber than I am using.

make sure you have everything screwed down and secured. A double layer of 3/4 plywood is a good idea if you can afford it with screws into the 2x6. Dont forget to trim it out! you dont want it to look like a red neck built it. Not that there is anything wrong with being a red neck

3/4 ply

in you'alls opinion, shuld i put the 2 peeces ply on bottom o sandwich the 2x6 frame in betweeen?:shotgun::2gunfire:;)

if you have 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood, just sit them on top of the stand. you don't need 2 x 6 lumber in the equation at all.

Well, I finished that part of the stand top today and I took the 2x6 top and boxed it with two sheets of 3/4 ply. It is unbelievably strong. Will post my pics via photo bucket with start to finish pics soon.

Well, I finished that part of the stand top today and I took the 2x6 top and boxed it with two sheets of 3/4 ply. It is unbelievably strong. Will post my pics via photo bucket with start to finish pics soon.

You will be fine.....If you want to Stack another 75 or 2 on top of your current you will be fine too. MOST DIY Stands are way overbuilt. From what you have told us yours could support a car.

Back
Top Bottom