75 gallon bottom brace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sheralynb916

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to paint the bottom of my 75 gallon aquarium. I need to remove the bottom cross brace. The bottom frame appears to be identical to the top, I think they are just made from the same mold. I don't see the difference between "euro-bracing" and the entire bottom glass siliconed in place for stability. Am I right?

May try to flip the tank upside down, snake some wax paper under the bottom brace. Apply paint, use the wax paper to work the paint back in forth under the brace. If your brace isn't glued you should be able to get the paint under it without removal.

Just a thought.

Thanks Keybler, that's actually what I did but I don't like it. I used a roller and regular black paint in a can - then squished a lot of paint all under the brace and worked the brace up and down and got it all under but it looks awful. :cry:

I painted my 29 gallon with textured spray paint in "sand" and it looked so GOOD. It's all speckledy and flecked and looks just like sand. I love bare bottom and I don't think I will ever go back to gravel. I wanted to do my 75 (Ryukins) in black texture, it has miniscule little flecks of white in it. :banghead:

Some people say "oh you can't do that it will burst" and "they put the brace there for a reason" but I have yet for someone to explain to me how the bottom piece of glass siliconed all the way around on the bottom is not as good as "euro bracing" on the top......:confused: I am hoping someone on this forum is an experienced aquarium builder and can help me. I would just go ahead and do it but I'm a scaredy cat.

I've been debating to build my own tank for awhile. With that being said, check this guy on youtube, maybe he has the answer or his videos leads you in the right direction.

The bottom trim/rails is glued in place, with enough time and a razor blades maybe you can cut it lose and re glue it back in place later.

OOOOOHHHHHH :flowers: :thanks: Keybler! I am going to contact him as soon as I cook for my husband who is giving me stink-eye. He sounds:D exactly like what I need! :D

Back
Top Bottom