Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2015, 01:45 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCXGT View Post
Yes it does. I did add much more bio though, most of the included media is sponges.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbielen View Post
Ok. Great. Bio as in ceramic? Bio balls?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCXGT View Post
Yeah.. Whatever strikes your fancy, I just threw a load of pre-filter and Biomax in.

I like Matrix, filled my canister with it, Sponge-matrix-matrix-filter floss.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:01 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post
I like Matrix, filled my canister with it, Sponge-matrix-matrix-filter floss.

Ooooh, yeah I'd go with Matrix if I started over.

Forget the Biomax.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Not trying to change your mind, but save some money and go with two API 50s. They work well and the only change is to use a generic floss instead of the carbon filters and a little sponge to the small side of the pump to reduce improper overflow.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:08 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just got my FX ($269.99) and a 106 for $63.57 or something.

Beware the FX wont fit under my stand for my 150g XT... I was about ready to go grab a saw hammer and nails but then decided it would be a pain to get i and out anyway and set it beside my tank.

The things a beast when it comes to GPH, mechanical filtration and maintaining flow. I really like how bit the intake strainer is. The atatchments to hold the hoses to your tank are a PITA to get on and if you have thinker that 1/2" glass might not even work but then they have little ratchets to hold the hose on, should work fine on a 75g.

There isn't THAT much room for media, but enough, probably about the same as a 406, it comes with a bunch of extra pads for the center trays and I'm not really sure how they want you to stack them. I put matrix in the bottom ontop of the foam then zeocarb in the center and foam in the top, I'm not really sure why there are 2 foam pads in the top if one is meant for each tray? They don't seem like polishing pads just foam so I might replace them with polishing pads.

What people don't understand is all the foam grows bacteria too so you effectively have more bio media just dont replace all 3 foam circles at once.

In a 75 you could easily get away with a 306/406 + a HOB but you would be looking at about $300. Petsmart had 306's in sale fore like $120 but now it looks like its the 106's turn and the 306/406 are full price so even at $339.99 the FX6 is a good buy. I like HOB's just to throw stuff in and I tend to clean them more often than my canisters, I also like putting food into the flow so my lower down less aggressive eaters can get some food.

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, filtration, gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com