75 gallon filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbielen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. I am setting up a 75 gallon cichlid aquarium. Looking at Fluvals. Wondering if the FX6 is too much flow for 75 gallons. My question is should I go with the 406 or FX6? Or, complicate things and look at another name brand? Thank you.

Hi. I am setting up a 75 gallon cichlid aquarium. Looking at Fluvals. Wondering if the FX6 is too much flow for 75 gallons. My question is should I go with the 406 or FX6? Or, complicate things and look at another name brand? Thank you.

The FX6 is absolutely not too much flow.

The advertised flow rates on canisters are measured at 0 head (ie, horizontally) so the flow is a LOT lower than stated.

That being said, 1500l/h is nowhere near anything to be worried about anyway.

I have a 306 and FX6 on my 63G with a 3000l/h Powerhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you very much. I'm going to pull the trigger. Does it come with the necessary media?

Not trying to scapegoat the question but it really depends on the type of cichlid, IMO. Are you looking at riverine, high flow or stagnant, low flow ? Don't get me wrong I love all my Fluvals, but I think the application needs to be considered at the same time to help determine what's best.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Truthfully, I don't know. First time. I like those little blue dwarf rams. What do you suggest?

Truthfully, I don't know. First time. I like those little blue dwarf rams. What do you suggest?

Sorry but I'm horrible when it comes to asking me for suggestions lol. I'm the one that buy the expensive, advanced style so I don't often recommend them. What I can offer if you haven't looked at already is browsing thru what LA has. Start with looks, then narrow it down by availability, and then more so compatibility. Use them as a "guide" and then go browsing more in depth research after finding a few that spark interest.

http://aquarium-fish.liveaquaria.co...shwaterfish&isort=score&method=and&ts=results

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/fwcompatibility_chart.cfm

Hope this helps ?.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Thank you very much. I'm going to pull the trigger. Does it come with the necessary media?

Yes it does. I did add much more bio though, most of the included media is sponges.

If you can find an FX6 for $269 like my local Petsmart is selling them for I would go that rout other wise the 406 would be fine too.

Yes it does. I did add much more bio though, most of the included media is sponges.

Ok. Great. Bio as in ceramic? Bio balls?

Yeah.. Whatever strikes your fancy, I just threw a load of pre-filter and Biomax in.

I like Matrix, filled my canister with it, Sponge-matrix-matrix-filter floss.

Not trying to change your mind, but save some money and go with two API 50s. They work well and the only change is to use a generic floss instead of the carbon filters and a little sponge to the small side of the pump to reduce improper overflow.

Just got my FX ($269.99) and a 106 for $63.57 or something.

Beware the FX wont fit under my stand for my 150g XT... I was about ready to go grab a saw hammer and nails but then decided it would be a pain to get i and out anyway and set it beside my tank.

The things a beast when it comes to GPH, mechanical filtration and maintaining flow. I really like how bit the intake strainer is. The atatchments to hold the hoses to your tank are a PITA to get on and if you have thinker that 1/2" glass might not even work but then they have little ratchets to hold the hose on, should work fine on a 75g.

There isn't THAT much room for media, but enough, probably about the same as a 406, it comes with a bunch of extra pads for the center trays and I'm not really sure how they want you to stack them. I put matrix in the bottom ontop of the foam then zeocarb in the center and foam in the top, I'm not really sure why there are 2 foam pads in the top if one is meant for each tray? They don't seem like polishing pads just foam so I might replace them with polishing pads.

What people don't understand is all the foam grows bacteria too so you effectively have more bio media just dont replace all 3 foam circles at once.

In a 75 you could easily get away with a 306/406 + a HOB but you would be looking at about $300. Petsmart had 306's in sale fore like $120 but now it looks like its the 106's turn and the 306/406 are full price so even at $339.99 the FX6 is a good buy. I like HOB's just to throw stuff in and I tend to clean them more often than my canisters, I also like putting food into the flow so my lower down less aggressive eaters can get some food.

Back
Top Bottom