75 gallon FW equitment build?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilmack07

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i've decided i want to upgrade my 20g to a 75g tank. I don't have anything yet but i am trying to lay out a plan for everything i will need for this tank so i can have an idea of what i need and how much money i need to save. xD

Tank:
I plan on finding one on craigslist most likely.

Filtration:
I plan on having a canister filter and a HOB filter.
Fluval canister 405 (100g)
MarineLand muti-stage C-360 (100g)
HOB Tera whisper EX-70 (75g)
HOB MarineLand bio-wheel 350B (75g)

Lighting:
I want to grow plants so i am most concerned about my lighting system. I have no ideas on this one yet.

Heater:
300w or 500w?
Does brand really matter? I just know i want one that has where you can see the degrees. I looked at a fluval 300w because i use a fluval in my 20g, but im not sure if a 500w would be better?

Cleaning/Water changing equipment:
Ive never owned a tank this big, so what is the best equipment to use for a tank this size? Right now i just use a simple little siphon, a 5 gallon bucket and i use old water gallon jugs to hold my water to put back in the tank. I know thats not going to work for a tank this size. xDD

CO2 system-
I plan on DIY one of these.

Substrate:
I want to use a substrate and cap it with white sand. Not sure what good substrates are yet, havent gotten to looking into that yet.

Anything else i would need?

For lighting, since you're going with some kind of DIY co2 (not recommended for tanks over 20 gallons) I'd get a two lamp T5 fixture. It would still be a good light with pressurized co2.

Substrate could be anything small. A cheap way to go would be OilDri topped with sand.

A 300w heater would be great. The inline Hydor heaters are the perfect choice with a canister filter.

You shouldn't need a HOB filter with a good canister. Won't hurt but could gas off co2.

Nothing beats a Python for water changes. They're higher quality than the knock-offs.

For add-ons I'd get dry ferts from GLA and some root tabs. I like Seachem but any brand will work. Get a large specimen container (convalescent home) for acclimation and water changes, some bulb pipettes, and a drip acclimation hose. Purigen is also great for planted tanks because carbon is a no-no.

Oh i didn't know that! If i need to get an actual CO2 system then thats what i will do, because i would like to really get into growing the plants. So what CO2 system would your recommend? Also if i got an actual CO2 system would that change your lighting choice or would that still be a good choice? Also at petco i had seen this Coralife Lunar Aqualight Quad T5 HO Aquarium Light Fixture
Would that be the type of light you are talking about? And if not would it work? I also saw a Zoo Med AquaSun T-5 HO double light linear fluorescent hood.
Oh ok, well i may hold off on the HOB one then and put that money towards co2 system.
Ive heard good things about those, i will have to check it out.
As far as the add ons i will have to check out all of that stuff thank you! You have been very helpful!

Edit- Ok i had seen some of those heaters, i will have to go look at them again! :]

Either light would be fine. I prefer having 2 bulb light fixtures because you can easily have it on the tank while you service the tank or if you're planting or moving things. If you want 4 bulbs using two 2-lamp fixtures means you can move one out of the way and still have light. I'd check out FishNeedIt.com's lights or NovaAqua. Good fixtures for less cash and they have units with the proper planted tank bulbs included. Most light fixtures come with reef bulbs. Truly, whatever light brand you go with should be fine as long as you get plant bulbs.

You don't need the inline heater. Many people like them because they are used outside the tank so you never have to hide them. They cost a little more though.

Sweet thank you so much for your advice. I think i will go with the zoo med light and the flora bulb and ultra sun bulb that they make. I'm just gonna go with the simple submersible one I'm use to dealing with those. I also found a marine land canister on amazon that does 100g to 150g so I am going to try and get that one for this tank for sure.

Sounds great. I've heard good things about the new Marineland canister filters (not the bio-wheel models!). Just remember not to use the carbon pack. Keep it around in case you ever have to pull medication out of the tank but it removes some if the fertilizers that plants rely on so it's never used in planted tanks.

Oh that is good to know! I had no clue about that. I will be sure to keep the carbon out then. I'm very excited to get a canister filter I've wanted one since I started my 20 gallon tank. I think for the substrate I'm gonna go with that fluorite stuff I think that's what it's called then going to look into getting pool filtered sand maybe.

My tank was setup with Flourite for years. It's good stuff. I decided to go with a black substrate this last time just to bring out the colors of my fish and shrimp. I never tried white in any of my planted tanks. It's very popular.

It's actually not fluorite but I did look at that stuff that's why the name popped in my head haha. I was picking between fluorite and caribsea Eco. I picked the caribsea because it comes in 20 pound bags and I heard its pretty easy to deal with. Or do you think the fluorite would be a better choice? I like the white sand the only thing that sucks is it allows you to see all the mess. But it makes things pop so well!

I was tired of looking at my Flourite. It didn't contrast well with my fish and they often disappeared in it. No complaints about it working with plants other than my glosso kept coming up out of it but that's more due to my newt and SAEs. I haven't used Carib Sea plant subs but I've heard positive things about it. Honestly, you can grow plants in nearly anything. I'd just get what you enjoy the look of honestly. I believe there's Aqua Soil then everything else. Can't afford Aqua Soil so I go by looks. Everything gets root tabs in my systems. I could use pea gravel with root tabs and have masses of plants. My first two 55 gallon planted tanks were basically that. I think it's great that so many people use different substrates.

I like your view on that. :) I will keep that in mind! I def want an eye pleasing tank. Especially if I'm going to put my money and hard work into it.

Back
Top Bottom