Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2005, 09:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to matman
75 Gallon Kit

Hi all. I just purchased a 75 gallon kit that I am going to use for a saltwater setup.

Here is my question.

It came with an AquaClear filter. I went to my LFS and they said that these filters are bad for saltwater aquariums. She then said, that i can make it a little better by taking out the carbon and adding more biomax, Does anyone have experience with these filters, because i already spent the money on it! I wanted to do a wet-dry filter, but my college budget will not allow it! HAHA!

TIA

Matt

Old 05-24-2005, 09:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It will be fine to start with. If you get 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of live rock and a good skimmer you won't need an expensive filter. You could start by filling your aquaclear with live rock rubble from the lfs. Carbon is fine for saltwater tanks though. We all use it either continually or occasionally. If you have enough live rock and the skimmer the wet dry systems are totally unneeded. They may be nice for some people but IMO they are just an unneeded expense. I have only live rock and skimmer on both of my tanks. I have the tetratec 500 filters but have removed all the media and filled the box with live rock rubble instead.

http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 01:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree with our lovely Kat. These big filters are nice for added water flow... but then again, you could get the same effect with tiny powerheads. Why not sell them on ebay?
Old 06-12-2005, 12:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to matman
i think i'm gunna save up more money and get either a fluval container filter or a wet dry, any suggestions??
Old 06-12-2005, 12:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Brodie
I would get a wet dry. You can replace the bio balls with lr rubble, and put your heater in the sump. Then again, I have no experience with the fluval filter, so I don't really know its benefits.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
i think i'm gunna save up more money and get either a fluval container filter or a wet dry, any suggestions??
Lots of LR and a good skimmer. You can then keep the Aquaclear as a place to run mechanical or chemical media.

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com