Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-30-2006, 11:07 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
If they have done “ich treatments” then it could have involved using copper sulfate. I’d run Cuprisorb for a couple of weeks in the filter before adding any lr or substrate to the tank to be on the safe side.

I couldn’t find any info on “Algae Away”. It could be a FW algae treatment which could lead to trouble also. I’d try to get the exact name for all products used to “treat” this tank.

That’s the big risk of getting a used tank unfortunately. There are so many inexperienced aquarists who inadvertently put all kinds of chemicals in the tank without understanding the root cause of why they might be getting algae/sickness. If it was FO then it wouldn’t be that big of a deal but with a reef it’s so much easier to start with a fresh tank or to buy a reef tank from someone you trust.

I have used the HOT Magnum 250 which does 250 gph for over 8 years (same one) without having to replace any parts and personally feel it’s one of the best. As Joester2k3 said it also comes with a micron filter which polishes the water quickly if needed.

6 months ago I bought the Magnum 350 which only costs about $10 more and love it even more. Unlike the HOT 250 it doesn’t hang on the back and can be kept below the stand. It also does 350 gph.

With any canister you have to be diligent about keeping it clean (every other week) or else it could build up excess waste on the filter material and raise your no3. I’ve never experienced a no3 reading above 5 ppm and clean it every 2-3 weeks. For the last 6 months my no3 has been <2.5 ppm or undetectable. I should also mention I do 10-20% weekly or every other week depending on my schedule.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:24 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
O k well thanks for all your info guys and I will keep you posted on my tank But I took a step today and bought the fluval fX (because I work for a fish store I get all the new models) it does 960 gph and its good up to a tank for 400 us gallons so I went for it. Only set me back $300 with my discount, so I think I will be doing just fine. As of right now im gonna find so media to put it in. And in my log book I will remind myself to change the media every couple of weeks.

Ternaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:28 AM   #13
And what are the best media to put into the filter? do you guys have any preferneces?
Old 01-31-2006, 01:32 AM   #14

Heres the filter by the way
Old 01-31-2006, 01:48 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular
Sorry I was gone. I was using my friends account

Lemonsong is offline   Reply With Quote

5 gallon, 75 gallon, canister, canister filter, filter, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com