Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Agreed 6 inches in depth is no big deal. They are both 4 feet long right?

55 gal is usually only 12" deep from what I have seen, that is pretty narrow, for driftwood and rocks. Go Big!

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:12 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
I currently have a 55G and a 75G, and my preference is the 75G. It's the same length and height, just a little deeper from front to back, 18" instead of 12". Gives you more room to have some nice setups. The 55G is just a little too narrow for me. If you get the 75G, you will like it. And for maintenance, it's not much more than the 55G.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:35 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

(for my freshie side) I went from a 10g non-heated guppy tank to a 72g bowfront heated tank. it never really looked out of place or too large. but that has a lot to do with 1) being on a slightly longer wall and 2) I have had a 6' 125 for awhile. id say not to make any rash decisions until you've given it decent time and thought. youll more than liekyl grow to love the 75
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions!

I have decided to keep the tank. Not only keep it but go BIG with it! I plan to make it a project tank that I most likely won't even set up for a while.
Currently it is light wood colored. This is half the reason I thought it looked too big and stood out too much. I hate the color/look.(pic uploaded) I plan to sand down and paint the stand black for sure and most likely paint the tank edges black as well.
I would also like to put a 20-30 gallon sump in the cabinet underneath. It came down to a nice canister or building a sump and from research I see more advantages of a sump and really love the fact of your water level never changing. I know you must do it right and there is the back-flow concern if power goes out. Looking into possibly drilling tank but I am kinda scared to.. LOL
I am also looking into doing a small 3d background made out of styrofoam. I've been researching all over the internet and think they are very cool! (the extra 6" you've been talking about will come in nice for this!)

I plan to make this a planted tank but still far away from setting it up to know what type of freshwater tank I want it to be..

Hoping the weather gets nice soon and I can get this out in the non-insutlated garage to start working on it!

Still up for suggestions about what cool things I can do with this tank, what type of freshwater tank to make it and problems that might arise or different ways of doing these upgrades.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	157393  
Old 03-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here s an idea..... Love this....good luck with your build, agree with the stand being black.

Attachment 157395
Old 03-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try again with the pic

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2098610198.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	157396
Old 03-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman024 View Post
Thank you all for your advice and suggestions!

I have decided to keep the tank. Not only keep it but go BIG with it! I plan to make it a project tank that I most likely won't even set up for a while.
Currently it is light wood colored. This is half the reason I thought it looked too big and stood out too much. I hate the color/look.(pic uploaded) I plan to sand down and paint the stand black for sure and most likely paint the tank edges black as well.
I would also like to put a 20-30 gallon sump in the cabinet underneath. It came down to a nice canister or building a sump and from research I see more advantages of a sump and really love the fact of your water level never changing. I know you must do it right and there is the back-flow concern if power goes out. Looking into possibly drilling tank but I am kinda scared to.. LOL
I am also looking into doing a small 3d background made out of styrofoam. I've been researching all over the internet and think they are very cool! (the extra 6" you've been talking about will come in nice for this!)

I plan to make this a planted tank but still far away from setting it up to know what type of freshwater tank I want it to be..

Hoping the weather gets nice soon and I can get this out in the non-insutlated garage to start working on it!

Still up for suggestions about what cool things I can do with this tank, what type of freshwater tank to make it and problems that might arise or different ways of doing these upgrades.

Convict just re-stained his cabinet and it looks luxe!

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
I just set up a 72G and at first it seemed WAAAAYYYYY too big, but after a while it was just amazing. I think with your breeding you will be happy to have the extra room. Water should be easier to take care of being bigger.

[IMG][/IMG]

I haven't really finished aqua scaping that's what the giant bunch of plants are in the middle.
I do like this tank!

Tags
75g

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com