Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
75G too much?

I currently have two 29G and a 10G fry tank set up. I wanted to get a 55G tank for my main and remove the 10g tank and replace with existing 29G for my fry. Well, after months searching on CL (I only do good deals..) I found a 75G that I was able to pick up for $200. This was way cheaper than any 55G I had seen. It came with tank, stand, light, plants, decorations (all fake which I won't use), two whisper HOB filters (prob won't use either). I sort of jumped on this because of the deal without measuring and thinking it through.

I finally got it home, broke down, cleaned and put in my basement living room. Now that it is there it it WAY big! Almost looks out of place. Plus, as I've had it sitting there for a couple weeks I've started to wonder if it's going to be too much work??

Is a 75G tank much more work than a 55G?

Right now I only have freshwater community fish (molly, guppy, GBR, Pleco's, Cory's etc.) I would need a whole lot of those to fill a 75G..
I hadn't planned on doing a different type of tank ie: Cichlids.
I don't want to do saltwater.
I am breeding Molly and Guppy.

Taking suggestions as what to do?
I was offered $350 for tank if I want to sell it to downgrade to 55G.

29G Pool Filter Sand, 29G Gravel, 10G Fry, 1.5G RCS
Bman024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
55 Gallon 48 x 12 x 21
75 Gallon 48 x 18 x 21

Not much of a size difference but the bigger a tank the better quality of water you shoukd have

Andrew McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Originally Posted by Andrew McFadden View Post
55 Gallon 48 x 12 x 21
75 Gallon 48 x 18 x 21

Not much of a size difference but the bigger a tank the better quality of water you shoukd have
IMO it's just because the 75g is a lot bigger than your other tanks. It just takes a bit of getting used to!!. You could always use your other tank(s) for the fry, if you want to go down that route. 55g and 75g, as Andrew said, it is not much different, in terms of maintenance and is actually less care compared to the 29g's... It is usually the opposite for most people, myself included. We want bigger!!!. It is your tank and of course it is what suits your needs but if i was you, i would stick with it and enjoy. You also don't have to stock it to the max, under is better than over...
Ian086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I agree. 75 is no more work than 55 and will keep water conditions more constant.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
I just set up a 72G and at first it seemed WAAAAYYYYY too big, but after a while it was just amazing. I think with your breeding you will be happy to have the extra room. Water should be easier to take care of being bigger.

I haven't really finished aqua scaping that's what the giant bunch of plants are in the middle.

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Keep the 75, in a hobby that costs as much as ours does there is no reason to downgrade.

If you are worried about size as far as looks against the wall, you will notice none between the 55/75. It's 6" in depth front to back.

You may say you are content with your current stock.(for now) but down the line you will wanna change up. And that extra space opens tons more options.
Aski247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus
I find the 75g to be about the same amount of work as my 30g. It just takes longer to do water changes.
meegosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular
You got a great deal and everyone's right 75 is a great size, keep it, it's well worth the extra bucket during water changes.
Myfisheatsyours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I guarantee if you invest in a aqueon or python water changer and find out how easy it is too perform the water changes then you will end up wanting a even larger tank, at least that's what happened to me....
abrinn23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
IMO ... a 75gal is the perfect large tank size. Not too big that it takes up a whole wall like a 125gal, but large enough to give you a lot of stocking options. And yes, it does look large and daunting when you compare it to a 10gal and a 29gal, but once you start setting it up, you'll be grateful for the increased footprint. Those 6 extra inches in depth really gives you a bunch more space to create the illusion of depth in the tank.

75g Planted Barbs Denison, BlackRuby, Tiger, Albino Tiger, Green Tiger, Cherry, Gold, Checkered, Odessa.
NonBarbs Cardinal, Neon, RummyNose, Bloodfin Tetras, Z. Danios. 1RTS. Amano, Bamboo, Ghost & RCS. 20g Long Shrimp Tank RCS, Tiger, Amano.
jcolon is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com