75g with LOTS of fine scratches -still safe to set up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WeedySeaDragon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I recently pulled my mom's old 75g out of storage. The tank sat empty for a few years with about 2.5 inches of that old epoxied/painted Estes brand gravel in it before mom finally took it out. The gravel was so old that the outer coating was coming off and showing the white stone underneath. She said the some of the stones were kind of sharp.

After getting the tank all cleaned up, much to my dismay, I discovered what must be literally thousands of very fine scratches on all 4 sides of the tank at the bottom where the gravel was. There are no scratches on the bottom glass though, oddly enough. No scratches anywhere above the gravel line. No chips or anything like that. The silicone all seems fine and undamaged. Of the scratches that are there, only 2 small spots were deep enough that I could barely feel it with my fingernail.

So the damage seems to be all superficial. However, the sheer amount of scratches has me wondering about the integrity of the tank. Do you think it would still be safe to set this tank up? I've dealt with aquariums for nearly 25 years and have never encountered anything quite like this before, it's got me stumped. I would greatly appreciate some opinions from fellow aquarists.

I've included a few photos for reference but unfortunately, the fine scratches seem to be hard to photograph.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and for any responses :)

343hr2o.jpg
[/IMG]

o054c7.jpg
[/IMG]

m7rodw.jpg
[/IMG]

You should be fine.
All glass tanks get scratched if owners are not careful.
Enjoy setting up your 75g!
Welcome to AA!

Wouldn't worry about it aside from aesthetics, may look better with water in it?? Have fun!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wouldn't worry about it either. Maybe using a sand bed to cover it all up? White would work well, but then again it will wash out the colors of fish/plants. But you shouldn't be worried about it breaking. Otherwise you should be fine.

Thank you all for the responses, it certainly helps put my mind at ease. I really appreciate it. There were 3 people in my family who taught me about fish while growing up, who I could go to for advice and they have all 3 died within the last few years. So I've been sitting here looking at this tank like 'What I do? I know! I'll ask....oh wait, I can't... crap...' So I'll go ahead and get it set it up. I'm excited, I haven't had a 'real' sized tank in years, and like Brookster123 said, the scratches may not be so apparent once it's filled with water. And if they are, well it was a free 75g with a nice pine stand, so I'll just have to remind myself of that and stick to tall plants and fish that hang out in the upper water column =) Thanks again everyone!

^^Whicked^^!!!
How are you going to cycle your tank and I heard plants,but what are your fishy plans???
I will recommend a fishless cycle for speed , ease, and full stocking potential.
But nothing wrong with cycling 'fish in' with a 75!
Done it a few times myself in 75s.
Sounds so great to have had family to learn fish from and sorry for their passing.
I also got the fish bug young from my father.
He is still alive and comes North during the summer so I provide him with an all set up tank where he stays!!

Glad to have you here!(y)

Thanks for the interest! I am definitely open to any and all suggestions. I'd kind of like to do something a little different. I have a few ideas rolling around my head.

I typically will stock the tank heavily with alot of stem plants right from the start so there's not much of a cycle. I'll use some gravel in a bag and probably some filter media from a 125g that I maintain for a nursing home to get things jump started. If I have to cycle with fish, I'll usually use a handful of Danio's. But I'd rather go fishless whenever possible. Fishless is my aim with this tank.

As far as livestock goes, I'm not even close to sure yet lol. I think I'd rather go with more peaceful fish, community type fish. I know I'd like to do shrimp, as I enjoy watching them, but I know most fish aren't really compatible with them. I used to raise Discus and loved them, but I think a 75 is probably kind of small for Discus. I have always wanted to try those Tanganyikan shell dwellers, but I think a smaller tank would probably be better suited to them. Always wanted to try proper Kilifish too, but once again a smaller tank would probably work better. I know I don't want to do any big bruisers, or any barbs. I'm not too interested in more Mollies and Platies as that's what they have in the tank I maintain. I have been thinking about raising up some nice german blue Rams, but then I'd have to 86 the shrimp idea lol.

Got any suggestions for me?

if one side looks better than the other turn it around ,
once the water goes in they probably wont stand out as much

Back
Top Bottom