80g SPS Overflow and Closed loop help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d9hp

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello AA,

I'm a long time nano-reefer and am designing a larger tank.

I used to frequent this forum a lot and am glad to see how well it is currently doing.

My current tank is a 20L custom tank that has been successful largely due to things I learned on this forum LONG ago:

5232454503_f28e50b99d_b.jpg

I am planning a new medium sized (to most of you) rimless tank: 48"x24"x16"

I need some help with the overflow and closed loop system I wish to implement and am open to all ideas and criticism.

I know many people have troubles with strainer intakes in the tank and I am wanting to incorporate an external calflo overflow along the rear panel and a beananimal overflow system. I am wanting a quiet system, but the slow trickle of water into the overflow box will be allowable if it isn't a 'rushing' sound. I am building the tank myself and am wondering how much shorter the rear panel should be to keep the water line ~.75-1" from the top of the tank. I plan on adding a small strip of acrylic teeth so I imagine I could adjust this to change the water level.

I am going to drill the returns below the overflow box and use loc-line to raise them towards the surface and use flare nozzles solely for surface agitation. This will mitigate the problems associated with backflow from a power-loss.

The return pump I envision using will be a Quiet One 4000 Flow (Rate: 1017 gph)
Sump: 50g breeder (36x18x18)

Closed loop will provide ALL other water circulation in the tank with 5 envisioned return points. 1-4 (labeled below) will be fed through an ocean motion's squirt powered by a Pan World 100PX-X 1270gph 13'. The excess flow from the pump will be routed through a bypass to return CL5 on the back center of the tank, which will provide constant flow.

**from Ocean Motions:
bypass-ecomm-1.gif

Will 1" drains suffice for BA overflow system running around 1000gph after head loss?

Will the horizontal overflow be capable of handling all this water without being extremely loud? Would I be better off drilling a different hole for the closed loop intake in the bottom of the tank?

If the intake to the CL pump is 1" should my intake bulkhead also be 1" or larger, with a step down coupler at the pump?

5303295573_352ed1b78b_b.jpg

5303909984_56a25e1fef_b.jpg

Finally, if I can get a local vendor to 'notch' the rear pane I could drill the return lines a bit higher and clean up the entire back pane with this implementation below. Would the reduced overflow area cause big problems?

OPTION B

5303283659_c72fea3622_b.jpg

Thanks everyone,
D

Back
Top Bottom