90 gal lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlidlovers

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a new 90 gal today..yeah!!. At the lfs they had a lighting system that cost $250+lightbulbs, sorry can't remember specs. That is too expensive for me specially after paying $300 for the tank. So we went to walmart and got a 48" flourescent lighting system and 2x75 watt bulbs.
Will this be ok, I did get the glass lid for the tank? It looks like I can fit another fixture so that would be 4 regular 75 watt bulbs. Any ideas for do it yourselfers

are u sure u have that right 75 watts seems high for a NO flourecent bulb (usually they are 40 watts), and VHO's at 48 inchs are 110 usually

ok, well i am no expert on fw but i know a little bit more about lights. Any amount of lighting is fine as long as u are happy with the brightness in teh tank and u are not trying to grow any plants. I believe what many people recomend for a planted tank is anywhere from 1.5-2 watts per gallon (u have just under one). If u are planning plants u could start out with low light plants such as java fern, which isnt as needy. Anything more than 2watts per gallon if i remember right would require u to get a c02 injection system i think because the plants use up the c02 faster if it is brighter.

No live plants .. I am not brave enough, nor do I have the time to maintain them.
I just wanted to make sure that a normal flourescent shop light would work on a tank it seems to fit perfectly and will 4x 40 watt bulbs stress them out to much.. Would I still need a C02 injector?
As for aquarium bulbs are they 40 watts as well? could I just put those in the fixture?

Back
Top Bottom