90 gallon tank. which light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leesanhua

Aquarium Advice Freak
am going to have a 90 gallon tank. i was wondering what kind of light should i go for... MH or compact florescent?

It depends on what you want to keep. If you are interested in corals, clams or high-light anemones spring for the MH. If you are just planning on simple soft corals CF will be just fine. Look at the Coralife Aqualight Pro MH fixture as a suggestion.

Some can, depending on species. Bulb tip anemones may do fine depending on the amount of CF ighting

Not really enough light for a sebea. Light penetration will be the biggest issue, especially in a 90gal. They tend to like to be at the bottom of the tank where the substrate meets the rocks. CF light will not reach it very well.

so how much watt per gallon do i need?
Do not worry about watts/gal, it is a bad bad rule. As I mentioned, penetration is what matters. MH create a much more intense light from a single point so it will reach the bottom of the tank much better.

Do you plan on building your own system or buying a fixture that is already put together?

You can save some money building your own system. When you figure in the price of the canopy and time it is pretty much a wash.

Back
Top Bottom