90G Filtration questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snowrider25

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there everyone,

New to the forum here.

Couple of questions for my new setup.

- 90 gallon planted south american
- 4 pieces Manzanita DW, 1 piece Malaysian DW
- Amazon Swords, Anubias, Crypt and Dwarf Hairgrass
- Current stock is Neons and Sterbai Cory
- Eheim Ecco 2236 (up to 80G)
- Eheim 350 Surface Skim

Future setup once tank is mature will be Cardinals, Rummynose, German Blues, Sterbai and possibly a few Discus.

I realize the current setup is under filtered. I do not plan on having a huge bio-load, but I am looking into supplementing the filter with another canister.

With the planned stocking, I am looking for something that has a slower output, so as not to blow the fish around, as they like slower water.

Any suggestions? Any help will be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Hello Snow...

Check the gph (gallon per hour) rating of your filter. Your tank needs a filter with a gph of at least 4 times the volume of the tank in gallons. A 90 G tank will need the gph to be at least 360. More is better, but 360 is sufficient to support the tank. Your job is to maintain the purity of the water, so you don't have to rely on the filter. If you change half the water in the tank at least every two weeks, your plants and fish will take care of themselves.

B

Thanks for the reply Bbradury.

I think the GPH output on my filter is about 200. I know Eheim is conservative with their GPH ratings as they rate it based on output with media etc...

I think I may supplement with the same filter but the smaller 60 gallon version.

I just worry about beating the fish and plants up.

Back
Top Bottom