Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2017, 05:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

A 55 gallon tank stand alternative: visit your local Restaurant Supply store!!!

You can see them in garages, warehouses, or restaurants... Those steel wire shelves meant to hold hundreds upon hundred of pounds... I realized, THAT'S what I wanted as a fish tank stand!!!

Mr. Sunshine, my 6-inch goldfish, lives on my patio in a little 10 gallon tank. I decided to be very careful with his second 55-gallon tank (seeing as I broke his first one!!! Thankfully not with him in it!). A sturdy tank stand would be key...

But as an outdoor fish, I didn't want cabinetry that would create dark spaces and attract black widows... I didn't want wood that would warp and weaken with weather and rain...

My solution? A dunnage rack! (google it!) Or maybe some short version of the super heavy duty storage racks you see in garages... But finding a version of those shelves that was LOW proved impossible... all of them were 4 or 5 feet tall, and I wanted Mr. Sunshine's tank to sit below some hanging plants in my yard...

Home Depot, OSH... no such luck... Until I found myself in a restaurant supply store.

Click image for larger version

Name:	276910.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	300881

I ended with something like this

However... it's meant to support 600lb... And a 55 gallon will be a bit over... I bet the numbers are conservative when those shelving companies record them though.... :\

A normal tank stand is too tall, and about as expensive, if not a bit more.... Thoughts?

Old 06-28-2017, 07:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not going to cut it.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Not going to cut it.
well crud
Old 06-28-2017, 09:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

They are just about impossible to get the shelves level.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
They are just about impossible to get the shelves level.
The ground isn't level where I am to begin with. I made adjustments, checking with a level to ensure the tank/stand would be level.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:07 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Maybe a sign not to make the tank happen.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:55 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

It will happen, just do not try and cut corners, nothing worse than have to tear down a newly set up tank because your diy stand failed and your tank blew up I've been there, it sucks.... I'm a carpenter so it was extra embarrassing. Glass boxes filled with hundreds of pounds of water are extremely unforgiving of imperfections in the surface they rest. Very! Unforgiving...
Old 07-04-2017, 04:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

scouring the internet, people use cement blocks and either 2x4 or plywood on top of blocks.

40g breeder with 4 Tequila Sunrise Guppy, 4 cory cats, 13 neon tetra's, 1 dwarf Gourami, planted with anubius and java fern, 36" 4-bulb Current Nova Extreme. 10g with a beautiful blue Crowntail Betta with blasting sand substrate. Also two cats who keep an eye on the tanks while licking their lips.
bobc4d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, gallon, native, stand, store, supply, tan, tank, tank stand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com