A cheap solution light for 20" aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Polyhead

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so the dual t-5 HO lights look cool, but at $90, I have to just say no [moderator edit] way. Are there any 20" dual t-8 fixtures around. 30watts would do fine to grow plants in a little 10 gallon, 20x10x12 aquarium.

I've been thinking about buying an incandecent style hood, then loading it with two screw in type CFL's designed for atriums. That should give me decent spectrum and plenty of power, 26 watts per bulb on the ones I've seen.

Your idea would work with the CFLs. A lot of people go that route. (I assume we are talking FW Planted tanks).

There are some dual t-8 hoods out there, but they are going to cost a few bucks too (though not as much as the t-5HOs)... you could always go to Lowes and buy some lamp holders and a balast and build your own T-8 fixture as well. It could probably be done for $20 or so.

FWIW, the T5HO lighting is expensive, but worth it.

Yep, I've gone the CFL route and I've been able to get some nice growth in my 10gal. :) Carpet plants are out though. :razz:

Coralife builds a dual t5 (non high output) that, should work well on a FW tank. They sell for only about $30.00

Your idea would work with the CFLs. A lot of people go that route. (I assume we are talking FW Planted tanks).

There are some dual t-8 hoods out there, but they are going to cost a few bucks too (though not as much as the t-5HOs)... you could always go to Lowes and buy some lamp holders and a balast and build your own T-8 fixture as well. It could probably be done for $20 or so.

FWIW, the T5HO lighting is expensive, but worth it.

Well myself I've been shopping A-boy, they didn't have much. I'm going to check a few other places around. A ballast to drive a pair of 15watt t8 bulbs is about $25. What they didn't have around were any 20" fixtures to mount it all to. They did suggest a shop in town that all they do is lighting, I'm told they have everything, and cheap.

Back
Top Bottom