A couple questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone have the accessory for the H.O.T. Magnum that has the added bio-wheel and gravel vac? I saw in the brochure that came with the unit that you can purchase a gravel vac that attaches to the unit. I thought that would be a great way to pick up the mess in the tank that Cichlid's tend to leave behind in large quantities without doing water changes so often. We do them weekly right now but by the time we do them, there is so much fish poop all over the place.

By the way- How many pleco's are appropriate for a 150 gal tank? Is there something else that we should buy instead of a pleco? We currently have 2 that came from the 55 gal but thought that maybe we should have more or will 2 be fine? I LOVE Pleco's so adding more isn't a problem for me. In my opinion, besides the parrots and snails, they are my favorite fish. I just wish there were more fish that looked like Pleco's and swam like them. :D

Fora 150gal you could easily have 6 or 7 just be sure to give EACH ONE its own rock retreat to preent aggrseeion i have had a pleco kill another pleco over rock turf.

The greavel vac connected to the HOT Magnum would be great for that my advice buy it.

JMHO

I haven't been able to find the acessory at the lfs. Does anyone know where I can find it? Also, our tank has a sand substrate about 2 1/2 inches deep. I have heard to use MTS but that the Cichlid's will eat them. What can we use instead of MTS for sand movement? I have them in the 29 gal but I think the eels are pickin them off because we only have 1 that we see move. The rest look like empty shells.

When I mentioned the MTS snails I was referring to the turning over of the sand, not algae. Also, I didn't see the gravel vac attachment on LiveAquaria.com for my filter unit. I'll look again. We already have a gravel vac (like the Python) but I was looking for something to use during the week to get some of the excess.

We were pretty luck on that account because when we got the pleco's, they were pretty large already and the Cichlid's were small. I guess from growing up with them, they won't show agresssion. Even when the pleco's will both attach themselves to a slice of zuc, not letting any of the cichlid's eat, they won't fight.

Fishyfanatic said:
I just wish there were more fish that looked like Pleco's and swam like them. :D

Mega dittos. The way they fan up their fins and seem to just glide when they swim is totally awesome. I'm not a huge fan of looking into their gaping suckers, but other than that plecos are great.

The Butterflyfish has the "wings" like a pleco, that's why I am wanting to get a couple of those. I'm just not sure how they will do with the Cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom