A deep water pump that actually works?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bzzh8c

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a used Deepwater pump off eBay for my new 110 tall and it doesn't generate ANY flow at the bottom of the tank, even bare tubed! Coupled with my old Whisper and still nothing. Works great at 20" though that doesn't help me. Who makes a quiet air pump for deep tanks?

110 what? mines 29" tall, I have the same problem, when I lift the pump up it works but cant do that, must be water pressure?

I used hagen elite 802, that's bubbly and it gets down.
They are fairly quiet. I have 3-4 of them.
Now I use a pond air pump and manifold, that delivers air to almost all of my systems including the deepest tank.

Depth is similar to the above, 750mm/29.5" (less a bit, the depth of water is less)
110 tall is 29" (less a bit, the depth of water is less)

Maybe the diaphragm has gone in the pump or the non return valve is reversed.

I will treat myself to a new pump when I get home, maybe the diaghram has gone like you say..........

Hey Ricky! It's for the fish:D
(Some pumps sell diaphragm kits)
Those elite pumps are quite good value if you can get the complete kit versions, sometimes they come with airline/stones etc. all you need is the airline plumbing pieces (little elbows and T's etc)

Do you have a back pressure release built in?
It's simple enough, put a T piece inline and fit a valve to it.

(Several examples here)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92891884@N04/11307992665/

This is open aired and stops pressure on the diaphragm, prevents premature failure. It is open just very slightly, just enough to ease the pressure. If the pressure builds up it will bleed off through this valve instead of returning back to the pump.
1 of my elite pumps is slightly noisier than the rest (sign of a bad diaphragm) still pumps air at the moment. They are all at least 5 or more years old.

Stay there!
England is freezing! Not as bad as buffalo weather but boy it's getting colder!
(I mean it's normal here for a December)

I think you may have just ruined my day!:lol:

Have fun. . . .

Back
Top Bottom