A few general questions on modifying canister filter lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bradleyheathhays

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just got a couple Eheim 2078s (!) to run the 125 gal I'm setting up and got a few questions...

1) I'm going to use two 200 watt inline Hydor heaters so I'm sure I'll need extra hose, but the Eheim literature says only use Eheim hoses. Is this entirely necessary or should I go ahead and get the Eheim hoses? Followup... Do I need to get hoses from aquarium supply specifically geared for aquarium use or will the stuff from Home Depot do ok?

2) Probably going to paint the plastic input and output tubes black (the rigid parts that actually go in the tank) and I'm wondering about what type of paint to use. Saw in another post someone talking about doing the same thing using spray can Krylon Fusion for plastic, which I already know is a good paint for plastic coating. Will this paint do, or should I look for something that is maybe specifically geared to be less toxic and aquarium safe?

3) The Eheim 2078 listed output is something like 490 gal/hr. How much will these inline Hydor heaters slow that rate?

Thanks!

Just saw your post so my reply may be too late now.I have many Eheim canisters and they all use Hydor ETH external heaters inline. You should NOT need any extra hose as the heaters go inline and actually replace a section of the supplied hose. That means you use LESS hose than without an inline heater. You would only need extra hose if you do some other additional inline plumbing (i.e. UV Sterilizer).Not sure what input an output tubes come with the 2078 model but I thought all Pro III models came with Eheim's modular tube system which is a dark grey already. I never paint mine but do paint some 1 inch clear rigid tubing black that I use in the back of the tank to feed wires and air tubing. I use the Krylon Fusion paint made for plastic. Be sure you follow directions and let it cure for a few days before submersing. I have had it start to flak after a few years and in one tank my Oscar chews it off but it seems to cause no harm.As far as water flow I have never had an issue. You are correct it will reduce it slightly but not to any real effect. Remember that Eheim is one of the few (if not only) vendor that's rates water flow with their canisters actually full unlike many other vendors whose are empty.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom