Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

a few plumbing questions for sump return lines

This is my desired set up.

The overflow box I'm getting is rated at 300gph. So I'm trying to determine what my water pump gph should be.

1) How much head loss will I incur by splitting the return line into two like in the above diagram?
2) Also, if the pump has a 3/4" outlet for tubing, after I split at the T connection, should I use smaller tubing (such as 1/2") so there's less head loss?
3) And, could I use all vinyl tubing for this or should I use some PVC pipe?
4) Do you think a 500gph return pump would be suitable?

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Very good questions, I'm following to see the answers lol

The sump setup I have planned has just a single return (I aksed about double too) with a 1500gph return pump and my overflow is rated for 1000gph I think. It looked like, based on reading charts that the head only lessens the gph a few dozen per foot of head.

What pump are you planning? Maybe I can find the chart for it.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm not very good at head loss, but I've seen people do stuff like this. The longer the water has to travel, the more head loss there is. Also, bends and stuff will also cause more head loss. That is basically what I know for right now... I'll be following to get an expert's advice

Oh, and about the vinyl tubing, and reducing tube size. I think vinyl tubing would be fine, but I'm not sure if head loss would change. And for reducing the size of the tube, you must remember that the gph would be lower. But once again, wait for an expert . Just my $.02
Old 05-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
are you trying to use two returns to take the place of powerheads?
Old 05-25-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackteck View Post
are you trying to use two returns to take the place of powerheads?
Not sure, could they?
I just want two returns to be symmetrical haha
Old 05-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I haven't picked out the pump yet carey because I'm concerned about the GPH I need.

If I go with 3/4" tubing after the split, won't that incur more head loss due to the water having to fill up the whole tube before being pushed up (more water = more weight pushed up)?

I'm going to go with "soft plumbing" because I don't have enough room to work behind there and I really don't want to deal with PVC anyways. Just much easier.

But, how can I connect vinyl tubing to the threaded bulkhead on the overflow? Is there a threaded/barbed connector somewhere?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

To figure what your head pressure is first figure your total length then for every 90 degree elbow you have add two feet for every elbow and tee that you have then add the two together
Old 05-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
IMO if you could find a "Y" fitting it would lower your head pressure a bit. I have a Squid that alternates from one side to the other adding some to the loss of some head pressure in place of a "T" or a "Y". But it gives a wave type motion to the tank. I used PVC pipe going to the sump and vinyl tubing on the return. http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php Here is a Head Loss Calculator brazenly borrowed from another site. I also have 4 Koralia 4,s in each corner to stir things up. Please note you will need a small hole at the output near the waterline to break the siphon. this will keep the sump from flooding.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:03 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Interesting stuff. I'll be sure to remember this when I set up my own larger tank. Just a question, what's the 'small hole at the output near the waterline'? I've heard this before but didn't understand where to put this hole.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Once you have everything up and running mark the water level onto both of your return pump lines in the tank,then drill a small 1/8" hole about 2mm below this line,this is your air break which stops most of the water flowing back to the sump when you have a power cut,they will also aggitate the waters surface as well helping with gas exchanges.

David S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing, return line, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com