A few random questions about a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheyCallMeButch

Aquarium Advice Regular
With have a little bit of time under my belt with my Salt Water tanks now I'm looking at finally ordering a custom tank, the only thing is that all the tanks I have are 'All In One' tanks where the sump and return are all in the back.

I've done a large amount of research regarding the sump, plumbing, and other logistics but I had a few other questions that I haven't seen much info about.

Since I will have a sump underneath the tank with a lot of other electrical equipment, what should be my worries/fixes for any moisture from this area?

Is there a good algorithm for figuring out my sump to tank ratio in the event of a power outage and my sump being able to contain all of the extra water?

Where is the best place to put a heater and maybe an auxiliary heater? The sump?

As for the top off, I guess I don't quite understand where the appropriate place to put the sensors for an auto top off goes. Would that be the sump as well? Would it be the chamber that the return pump is in?

I also plan on dosing the tank which I haven't done with any of my previous tanks, what would be the appropriate ways to do this? (Still doing my research on this but all help is greatly appreciated)

I'm more than sure I'll have other questions here and there but this is my list so far.

Thanks again for all of the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'd consider a lid on the sump if you're concerned about moisture issues. I'm sure there is a formula or algorithm somewhere to figure out how much water will fill the sump; but I've always done real world testing for this to figure it out. Far too many variables that I could forget if trying to figure it on paper.

Heaters and any other equipment can be kept in the sump and out of view.

For ATO you'll need a combination of sensors/float switches which can be simple or complex depending on how many safeguards you want to add. On one of my setups that runs an ATO I have various float switches. 2 in the main display tank that will shut down all pumps if the water ever rises too high. 3 in the sump (doesn't matter which chamber you choose; but their placement/height might be different depending on which chamber you choose and how full your sump normally runs) one of those senses when the water drops too low and kicks on the ATO pump; another senses when the water reaches the correct level to turn the ATO pump off; and the last one is a failsafe placed much higher in case the ATO pump should ever stick on or continue pumping past the normal fill level. I've also got a float switch in my ATO reservoir to shut down the ATO pump if the reservoir runs dry.

Do you use a specific brand your your ATO sensors and controllers?

Why are you planning on dosing? The tank really won't need additions of elements until you have a heavy coral load or an sps tank. You'll be doing water changes right?

I was under the impression dosing would be the overall best way to promote coral growth besides the water changes and filtering.

I've never done dosing and I was just more curious about it for when the day comes that there are larger amounts of SPS requiring more than just a water change. (I know I have no need for it right away but something I'm considering down the road)

Back
Top Bottom