a good filter for a 30 gallon fresh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoe55123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i am helping my cousin with a 30 gallon fresh with all the fish and equipment. i have a penguin 170 on it right now and want to know if that's enough or do i need to get them another filter to help? you see it had an emperor 400 on it before i needed that filter for another tank. so i'm scared that the 170 won't be able to handle all the work that the 400 did. can anyone help please. the tank will be going out today or tomarrow and i need to get to the store if i need to buy another filter for it.
i know that is asking way to much of anyone but it would help me out if i need them to get another filter before i can.
thanks again.

Is it enough? That depends on how you define "enough." The 170 is rated at 170 gallons per hour and is supposed to be ok for use up to 30 gallon tanks. But honestly it really depends on what you are planning on stocking in the tank.

If you plan on stocking the tank heavily I'd get a stronger filter. If you plan on stocking the tank lightly then don't worry about it. If you are planning on stocking somewhere in between these levels then its a judgment call. I personnaly don't have faith in the penguin models specs so I'd opt for stronger filtration (an Emporer) if I was going to own the tank though. :?

Try an Emperor 280 (60 gallon rated (I think)) or Penguin 330 (70 gallon rated).

I use a 330 on my 29 gallon, but its a bit overstocked ;)

see what happened was i took the emperor 400 off the 30 fresh water to use for the 30 gallon saltwater. then i bought a penguin 170 for the 30 freshwater. what i did was found a mispriced penguin 170 just now and got that so now the 30 fresh will have 2 penguin 170's on it. one on both sides. what do you think?

thanks to all that helped me. the fish are going to their new home tomarrow. with plenty of filtration. now the next question will be how to transport them safely?
hehe
:D

Back
Top Bottom