A good protein skimmer for 55 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm almost done setting up my 55 gallon SW tank, and would like suggestions on a good protein skimmer. I plan on having an in sump skimmer, 20 gallon sump. Not 100% on corals yet, but definitely starting out with FOWLR and LS. I've heard good things about the octopus skimmers but would also like to hear opinions. Anything would be helpful. Thanks

I have several different skimmers and I like the eshopps ones and the octopus ones. The eshopps are cheaper and in my experience work just as well. Try to get the biggest skimmer that will fit in your skimmer compartment, nice rule is to go 50% or double the "rated gallons". So a 55g would need a skimmer for a 110g tank or better. Octopus has a nwb 150 I believe that might fit and would be more than you need but always better to have more than not enough. lol Plus you may consider an upgrade one day and a larger skimmer could come in handy. :)

If you're wanting to split a 20 long into 3 chambers to allow for a refugium, a Reef Octopus NWB series is definitely out. I've got a 150, and it's pretty big.... it'd take up nearly half of your sump alone. I'd probably recommend one of Reef Octopus HOB skimmers to allow for the maximum amount of room in your sump.

As I was writing the above, I figured since it was time to change the filter sock, and I had an old 20 long sitting around, here's some perspective shots of how large the NWB150 is sitting in it.... By the time you put two sets of spaced baffles in there, not much room left for a center refugium.

Attachments

• 150 20L.JPG
    150 20L.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 150 20L 2.JPG
    150 20L 2.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
I run a reef octopus 150 in my 20 long. I have it in 2 chambers due to size. It works ok, just water level isn't exactly where they want it to be. I actually modified mine to bring the return pipe up higher to try to get the water level where it needed to be.

Oh shoot! I forgot to mention that my sump already has a built refugium, 3 chambers. It's a 20 gallon long. I want to say that the skimmer chamber is close to 9 inches, from left wall to center. I will post the exact measurements when I get home. But does it sound like the octopus 150 can fit? Or at least a good in-sump filter for my 55 gal? Thanks

Geez..... back downstairs, pulled the 20 back out, drag the skimmer back out of my sump. :lol:

All that, and, nope, it doesn't fit sideways. It's about an inch too long in the footprint. :nono:

However, looking at the specs for the NWB110 (next size down), you should be able to fit that in there OK. Click on the "Full Details" tab under the description to get the footprint dimensions.

Reef Octopus NWB110 4

As long as you don't overstock your tank, this should do plenty good for a 55.

Last edited:
I came home and did precise measurements. It's 8.5 inches from wall, towards center of tank. Hopefully that NWB110 is enough for a fully stocked tank. I plan on having a deep sand bed in both refugium and tank (4 inches) and lotsa live rock. Probably 75-80 lbs in tank plus more in sump. Thanks for all your help.

It should be fine.... manufacturers recommendation is 100g, and BRS recommends 75g, so you're still a good step above your 55g. And, IMO, there is such a thing as over-skimming..... the smaller skimmer will produce a constant, consistent skimmate, whereas a largely oversized skimmer can over-clean the water and you'll be chasing your tail trying to keep it adjusted.

Last edited:
Thank you all again. I will post pics when all is said and done. Getting close, but aquariums are definitely an expensive hobby, but also well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom