A Good skimmer for a 130 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

claysey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The tank in the office where I work is a 130 gallon tank with a really crappy skimmer in a wet dry sump converted into just a sump (no bioballs or filter media). What would be a good skimmer to replace the old one with?
The tank has about 100 lbs of LR, a deep sand bed (4+ inches) and is a reef tank with some soft coral (not much). We have a Volitan Lion Fish (4 inches), a Blue Tang (2 inches), a Foxface (2 inches), and a hawkfish (2 inches).

Thanks,
Clayton

i have a prizm skimmer on the back of my 30 gal and it will do up to 120 but i know they have a larger version thats suppose to be able to handle over 130. i personaly like my skimmer once i figured it out and it skims like crazy and keeps my tank in check and crystal clear. however there are alot of brands of skimmers and i hear different people stand by different ones.

it seems that the needle wheel skiummers have a lot of fans. (euro reef, asm, turboflotor ans so on). I will get turboflotor soon since they seem to be the moast energy efficiant if used in the return line. A lot of people like the aqua c's but i got mixed reviews on them.
the cheap ones are usualy the crapy ones :wink:

We have a crappy one now, that's for sure. I have been looking at the Turboflotor and the Nautilus line of skimmers. Does anyone know if there is a water depth limit for these two skimmers? I want to put the skimmer in the sump and I need to know if I can because of the depth of the water in the sump. The first section of the sump is about 14 to 16 inches deep, the second is about 6 to 8 inches and the third is the area for the return pumps.

Thanks
Clayton

Back
Top Bottom