Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2005, 05:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

A Good skimmer for a 130 gallon tank

The tank in the office where I work is a 130 gallon tank with a really crappy skimmer in a wet dry sump converted into just a sump (no bioballs or filter media). What would be a good skimmer to replace the old one with?
The tank has about 100 lbs of LR, a deep sand bed (4+ inches) and is a reef tank with some soft coral (not much). We have a Volitan Lion Fish (4 inches), a Blue Tang (2 inches), a Foxface (2 inches), and a hawkfish (2 inches).

Thanks,
Clayton

50 gal tank, 2 MJ 900s, 1 MJ 400, WON Bros skimmer, Orbit 4x65 watt PC fixture, 50# base rock (now live), 60# live sand, 2 saddle back clowns, giant feather duster, colt coral, flame scallop, zoo frag, yellow toadstool, various crabs and snails.
claysey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have a prizm skimmer on the back of my 30 gal and it will do up to 120 but i know they have a larger version thats suppose to be able to handle over 130. i personaly like my skimmer once i figured it out and it skims like crazy and keeps my tank in check and crystal clear. however there are alot of brands of skimmers and i hear different people stand by different ones.

Old 04-16-2005, 02:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

it seems that the needle wheel skiummers have a lot of fans. (euro reef, asm, turboflotor ans so on). I will get turboflotor soon since they seem to be the moast energy efficiant if used in the return line. A lot of people like the aqua c's but i got mixed reviews on them.
the cheap ones are usualy the crapy ones
swissfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

We have a crappy one now, that's for sure. I have been looking at the Turboflotor and the Nautilus line of skimmers. Does anyone know if there is a water depth limit for these two skimmers? I want to put the skimmer in the sump and I need to know if I can because of the depth of the water in the sump. The first section of the sump is about 14 to 16 inches deep, the second is about 6 to 8 inches and the third is the area for the return pumps.

Thanks
Clayton
50 gal tank, 2 MJ 900s, 1 MJ 400, WON Bros skimmer, Orbit 4x65 watt PC fixture, 50# base rock (now live), 60# live sand, 2 saddle back clowns, giant feather duster, colt coral, flame scallop, zoo frag, yellow toadstool, various crabs and snails.
claysey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 gallon, skimmer, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com