a leak question how fast will it grow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott S

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok, I've developed a small leak. so far it's just a drip.
so, a few questions.
how fast will it grow?
what are the chances it will fail catastrophically?
how long do I have?

In my experience they tend to be water pressure related for leak speed and have never failed all in one go. Heard plenty of horror stories though. Time for a new (and larger) tank?

As you do water changes, it will cause the crack to grow until BOOM! You should transfer your stock to a big plastic container until you get another tank. You're playing with fire.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to give the update on this thread.
I simply found and bought another 100 gallon tank.
now though, I'm looking at the leaky tank thinking, I should reseal this one...
anyone done this?
I could use any advice.

I forgot to give the update on this thread.
I simply found and bought another 100 gallon tank.
now though, I'm looking at the leaky tank thinking, I should reseal this one...
anyone done this?
I could use any advice.

Never done it. But make sure your caulk does not contain any mildew preventor. I'm sure the info is out there. A Google search should do the trick.

Think of the tiny rock chip on a windshield, you can't hardly see it, and then one day you get in the car and it has ripped across half the wind shield.

Scary!!!

How about a paludarium? Some one was selling a huge tank for pretty cheap, and said there was a chip and I thought maybe I don't want 150 gallons of water on my living room floor. But maybe I want a huge cool place for a less water and pressure but kinda amazing opportunity?!?!

Think of the tiny rock chip on a windshield, you can't hardly see it, and then one day you get in the car and it has ripped across half the wind shield.

Scary!!!

How about a paludarium? Some one was selling a huge tank for pretty cheap, and said there was a chip and I thought maybe I don't want 150 gallons of water on my living room floor. But maybe I want a huge cool place for a less water and pressure but kinda amazing opportunity?!?!

OP didn't mention a crack or chip. Could be just leaky old caulk. You make a valid point though if it is a crack/chip.

OP didn't mention a crack or chip. Could be just leaky old caulk. You make a valid point though if it is a crack/chip.
yes, just a small caulking leak. it leaked about 1 cup per day

ok, tank re-sealed and holding water. man, I'm thinking re-sealing aquariums is not my career path.
doesn't look bad, but took a while longer than it should have.

I resealed my 55 after it was given to us after setting in storage unit several years. Has been fine for a year, just watch it initially.

Sent from my N9130 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom