Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2010, 02:22 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
+1 for using them as long as they'll work. When I had a Penguin 200B and was running the factory cartridges, I'd rinse and reuse until I was cleaning the cartridge more than once a week. That filter has slots for two cartridges, so I'd only change one at a time.
Indeed, my Aqueon 55 has slots for two carts as well...

Old 10-29-2010, 12:37 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

than yah that should be fine thats nothing..what kind of fish are they?

Old 10-29-2010, 12:39 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostLoach View Post
than yah that should be fine thats nothing..what kind of fish are they?
Three fancytail goldies...one Red Cap Oranda, one all-orange Oranda and a Gold-and-Black Moor...
Old 10-29-2010, 06:00 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnarthur View Post
Is it true that canister filters are now so sophisticated that you can play computer games on them?
heh, yeah! Fluval-G seems to be going that way. But I think Fluval are trying to be the Apple of the aquarium world by making stuff that looks pretty. Ultimately it doesn't seem to do much. Shows the temperature of the water, big deal, I've got a 2 thermometer that does that for me. Then it shows the filter replacement schedule, again, big deal!

Now if it could give a constant read out of Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH, *that* would be worth getting!
Old 10-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

That would really help and may be a motive for replacing the under gravel filters, but it doesn't yet exist. Possibly it would be easier to install a draw poker program, which could be very popular but of little interest to some of us.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:12 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Activist

hey sorry osage i know i promised pics but i dont know how to post them so check em out on my profile..hows your tank coming along??
Old 11-02-2010, 01:58 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostLoach View Post
hey sorry osage i know i promised pics but i dont know how to post them so check em out on my profile..hows your tank coming along??
Hey Loach!

Thanks for the reply, man! I'll try to check out the pics on your profile...

The tank is better -- the water is beginning to clear, if not as clear as a goldfish tank is going to get I suppose, and the three fancytails appear to be healthy...
Old 11-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi,
The cartridges are mechanical filtration. What I do, and it works great for me, is go to LFS and ask them for 100 micron sheets. Cut a section to fit your filter. Place it right where the water enters to go back into tank, in front of cartridge. Check it every 1/2 of day and you'll find it dark brown to black. Replace it. In NO time, a couple days, your water will be crystal clear! The sheets I buy are a HUGE 3 feet by 3 feet for 15 bucks. One pack will last several weeks, even changing it 2x a day. By the end of the first week you'll only have to change it once a day and after the first week maybe only evry couple days. I swear, this stuff gets your water CLEAR.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #39
Gus
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage_Winter View Post
Thanks Loach,

But how often do I need to change these "cartridges" in my filters? Do I need to change them out completely and replace them with new ones, as the marketing folks at Aqueon, etc. suggest, or do I just take them out and rinse them, to put them back into the canister?
I replaced the floss bag (and just the floss) after a year. I kept the old plastic frame. The fish supply companies wants to get you in the habit of replacing the filters like once a month or so, and that's how they make their money after all.

It takes a while for a tank to settle, and bacteria will grow everywhere, even the glass. I'm currently running a 10 gallon tank with 9 fishes (5 Rasboras and 4 Dwarf Gouramis) and I'm using the filter that came with the tank (a Regent 5-10 gallon filter) I also have a lot of Java ferns plants growing everywhere.

Debris will eventually settle down at the bottom of the tank.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #40

Thanks Guys,

So how often do I need to change my Aqueons' carts?

Tags
filter, filters, media

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com