Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2010, 02:33 AM   #1

A Question About Filters and Their Media...

In my other thread in this section, we have been discussing which brand and model of filter I can choose to replace my Aqueons, which don't seem to be doing much of anything to keep my water clean, whether or not this is the single solitary culprit of the unclear water.

But something was brought up in another thread on a different forum regarding the kind of media my Aqueon QuietFlows use and I am a bit confused and concerned, quite frankly...I'm only using the cartridges which hold the floss and carbon that came with my filters right now, and from what I have learned, this is just "mechanical filtration" not "biological filtration"...so, do I need to stop using the cartridges that came with the units because perhaps it's these that are keeping the water from becoming clear?

Old 10-24-2010, 04:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

not sure about your water there could be many different problems. if you dont already have a thread on that i would make one.

bacteria grows on everything. what bio media is just something with a lot more surface area for a greater amount of bacteria to grow on. i have many filters with no bio meadia just sponges.

if you dont have something just for bio media doesnt mean you will have cloudy water.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #3

But essentially what I am trying to discern is whether I should be using something other than the floss/carbon "cartridges" that came with my Aqueon filters because these are considered "mechanical" filtration and not "biological"...
Old 10-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dedicated biomedia isn't necessary. Beneficial bacteria will live on your filter cartridges. That's why it's crucial not to replace the filter cartridges or wash your cartridges in chlorinated water.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Under gravel filters are uncomplicated, and they work well if you keep up with partial water changes.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage_Winter View Post
But essentially what I am trying to discern is whether I should be using something other than the floss/carbon "cartridges" that came with my Aqueon filters because these are considered "mechanical" filtration and not "biological"...
Those cartridges are considered mechanical, chemical and biological.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Dedicated biomedia isn't necessary. Beneficial bacteria will live on your filter cartridges. That's why it's crucial not to replace the filter cartridges or wash your cartridges in chlorinated water.
You mean the simple cotton/carbon cartridges that are supplied with many of these HOBs (like my Aqueons)? These will house the beneficial bacteria? What about the blue plastic "biogrid" thing that sits on the waterfall return that's supposed to act like the bio filter -- what's that there for?

Here's what my bigger filter looks like:

http://cse.f3images.com/IMD/feeds/XO06078_50.jpg
Old 10-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnarthur View Post
Under gravel filters are uncomplicated, and they work well if you keep up with partial water changes.
Wow John, you gotta be the first person I've encountered in this hobby that's suggested an under gravel...
Old 10-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
You mean the simple cotton/carbon cartridges that are supplied with many of these HOBs (like my Aqueons)? These will house the beneficial bacteria? What about the blue plastic "biogrid" thing that sits on the waterfall return that's supposed to act like the bio filter -- what's that there for?

Here's what my bigger filter looks like:

http://cse.f3images.com/IMD/feeds/XO06078_50.jpg
Your beneficial bacteria live on the surfaces in the tank, particularly in the filter. Ceramic biomedia has millions of holes and passageways to increase the surface area per volume. It's really nothing more than a chunk of ceramic with a lot of tiny tunnels in it.

Quote:
Wow John, you gotta be the first person I've encountered in this hobby that's suggested an under gravel...
There's nothing wrong with a UG filter. You just have to keep up on the maintenance.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Under gravel filters were a big deal several decades ago when they were introduced. Not many people recommend them now, but they have always worked well for me. Maybe there is such a thing as getting the aquarium water too clean. After all, a natural body of water has a dirt substrate.

Tags
filter, filters, media

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com