Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-23-2010, 12:56 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know you said you did it... DURING A WATER CHANGE. When the water level drops below the level of the u-tube, the siphon will break causing you to have to reprime the pump. Just as nearly everyone here has said. So if you unplugged the filter, did a water change in which the water level dropped below the level of the u-tube, and then replugged it in, yes... you will need to reprime the pump.

But that's not what your original question was. You asked if after a power outage, will the pump restart. And that is what my answer pertains to... try it out for yourself. Unplug it, plug it back in. If it works fine, then there's your answer. If it doesn't work fine, then there's your answer. It really doesn't matter what any of us think or believe.

Yes... I have knowledge of this, but it isn't any different than nearly 100% of the people here have already said. You pretty much have three answers:

1. If the water level drops in your tank drops low enough to break the internal siphon of the filter, then yes... you will have to reprime it manually - just as you have during your water change.

2. If the water level in your tank is high enough, and you just unplug the filter and plug it back in, the filter will start pumping water just fine - no priming required.

3. If you unplug the filter and plug it back in and it doesn't start pumping water and you need to reprime it, then the water level in your tank is too low, or the intake tube on the filter unit is not seated properly.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:34 AM   #22

When I "tried" it during a water change, the water was filled up to the top of the tank again...

Old 12-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Try it now is what they are all saying. If you unplug your filter, then do a water change (the water level drops low enough to drain the filter. Then you added water again and plugged in your pump. Water won't go uphill in this case.

HOWEVER, if you try it now WITHOUT changing the water level it SHOULD restart on it's own. I have a bunch of different filters and they all restart this way.

If the water level is at a normal level, the filter won't drain if you unplug it. However, if you drain the water below the filter the filter will drain. (Have you ever heard the gurgling sound when you do a water change?, if so thats the filter draining).

I'm lucky, when I do my water changes the water level doesn't have to go below the suction tube so I leave my filters on. This way anything I kick up out of the gravel gets cleaned up by the filter instead of settling.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage_Winter View Post
When I "tried" it during a water change, the water was filled up to the top of the tank again...
But the water was lowered during the water change to a level below the intake tube, right? That broke the siphon.

As far as I can tell from what you wrote, you've never done exactly what many of us are saying. Not sure why not... takes about 10 seconds to do. If you'd rather argue about it versus trying to understand what we're trying to tell you, I think you'll find yourself eventually arguing to an empty room.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just did a W/C and i would say that if your water drops lower than 3" you will break the siphon.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I've got a ac110 and as everyone has said ,as long as your tanks water level does not go below the level of the intake strainer than the water level in the ac's box will remain there and it'll reprime itself in a very short time,...no worries,..great little unit.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421 View Post
I've got a ac110 and as everyone has said ,as long as your tanks water level does not go below the level of the intake strainer than the water level in the ac's box will remain there and it'll reprime itself in a very short time,...no worries,..great little unit.
Well, I wouldn't necessarily call it a "little" unit...

But, alas -- perhaps we've made some clearance here...you're saying so long as the water doesn't drop below the INTAKE STRAINER the water level in the AC's box will remain...but that's REALLY low in my tank because it's not deep from top to bottom, really...for the water level to drop below the intake strainer in my setup, all the water would practically be out of the aquarium...

Also, I don't believe that this sentiment is what "everyone has said" as you mention -- no one really mentioned the intake strainer factor until you if I'm not mistaken; they're all talking about the water level in the actual intake tube dropping below a certain threshold, so that's why I was utterly confused.

Thanks for the reassurances though; this is what I was trying to ascertain by starting the thread -- getting some detailed information from owners with experience dealing with this particular unit, as I am a newbie with it.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefdiver View Post
I just did a W/C and i would say that if your water drops lower than 3" you will break the siphon.
Hmmm...it seems the other member (whom I replied to just above this post) says if the water level drops below the INTAKE STRAINER, then there will be priming issues -- not just three inches as you say. My intake strainer level is way deeper than three inches from the surface...
Old 12-23-2010, 06:17 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Well IF your water level drops that low then you'll have more problems than just getting the unit to reprime itself,..ive had the power go off numerous times and never once has the ac110 failed to restate itself,.....as the folks have said , just turn off the unit during your PWC's and restart it afterwards and you'll be fine.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

just experement. i did it with my two 70's .

Tags
aquaclear, clear, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com