Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-21-2010, 06:28 AM   #1

A Quick, Fleeting Yet Disturbing Thought I Had About My AquaClear 110...

I was just thinking...because this filter isn't self-priming, what happens if I'm on vacation and a power outage occurs? The filter can't come back on on its own, requiring water to be added to start flowing, so what happens?

I mean, right now I have the second Aqueon filter running with the AquaClear 110, and that one is self priming, immediately sucking water in when the power is restored...but what if I didn't have that Aqueon? What if I had the two 110s or just the one 110 for that matter -- what happens during a power outage if we're not home for some time?

Old 12-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

the ac will suck up water as long as it doesnt drop below the suction tube.try this unplug it and plug it back up and it will work fine.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
Sliced Bread

yeah it should be ok and not lose siphon as long as the water level in the tank isn't too low.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep. Never had an issue with them priming.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefdiver View Post
the ac will suck up water as long as it doesnt drop below the suction tube.try this unplug it and plug it back up and it will work fine.
Thanks Reef.

Do you mean below the intake strainer line when you say "as long as it doesn't drop below the suction tube"? That would be pretty low!

I have "tried" what you suggest for me to do -- that is, unplugging it and seeing if it would restart when I do the diastrous water changes...I end up needing to prime it with cupfulls of tank water for some reason...
Old 12-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilanh View Post
yeah it should be ok and not lose siphon as long as the water level in the tank isn't too low.
Does it matter where the flow rate adjustment knob is? Should it be at minimal output before leaving for an absence?
Old 12-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
Yep. Never had an issue with them priming.
What I don't get -- and perhaps someone could shed some light on this -- is, if these filters are marketed by Hagen as "requiring priming" then why can everyone have this experience of the filters actually priming on their own when there's a power shutoff?

What I'm trying to say is...are these self priming, or not?
Old 12-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the water drops below the intake strainer then you will need to prime.Priming means that it needs water in the pump or impeller to help siphoning.
These are not self priming. try it with out water in the filter and you will understand the siphoning.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefdiver View Post
Priming means that it needs water in the pump or impeller to help siphoning.
This are not self priming. try it with out water in the filter and you will understand the siphoning.
I know the AquaClears aren't "self priming," that's what I'm complaining about...my Aqueon does automatically suck water up immediately upon plugging it in, without needing water to be poured into the chamber like the AquaClears do...
Old 12-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the tank water level drops below the end of the U-tube inside the filter, it will siphon the water out of the filter and break the siphon. As long as the siphon remains unbroken, the U-tube will stay filled with water and the filter doesn't need to be primed.

Tags
aquaclear, clear, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com