AA Green Killing Machine Review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Fisher

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello Friends!

So in my 20+ years of being in the hobby I never had the unfortunate chance of having a green algae bloom. Well I bought some water spangle from ebay and put it in two tanks. Well wouldn't you know it a few days later I had some BAD green water going on.

I tried the methods that my old timer friend suggested, no lights, cut down on food add some hornwort well nothing worked. S I read up on Uv sterilizers.

Since both tanks held fry I needed something "fry Friendly" as well as something that wasn't terribly expensive. ( I am a thrifty old guy) So I found the green killing machine. I reasearched that the 9 watt unit would work in up to a 50 gallon tank so that was the hot ticket for me.

Now on amazon and at the box pet stores these things are upwards of 50.00 . I managed to find one on E bay that was "open box" well it arrived and I found the power head did not work when plugged in the little quick connect. I simply used some crimp connectors to remedy the issue.

So how good does it work you ask? Well DARN good. This is before and after with it running 4 days with no water change.

2ePA86I.jpg

9qjyWnl.jpg

I've got to throw a snail in to get the algae of my wifes shark decoration

I've always wanted one, but never really had the need. If I ever encounter the dreaded green water, I will definitely get one.

I have a friend that swears by them.

If you're looking for snails I recommend nerite snails. These suckers are fast and look pretty cool. Best of all the only breed in brackish water so no new babies. I have some MTS if you want some. I don't think they will do much to the shark though.

It's looking even better now. I need to change the filter floss and clean the sponge. I really need to post pics of that 10 gallon tank. Man, that thing is beuatiful.

Ok, this is before

mE5CbLp.jpg

and after two days and 30% water change

Er7ncys.jpg

Yesterday I changed the filter floss in my biomax nano and this is it currently. The camera picks up a lot of yellow from the 14 watt CFL I use, in reality its very clear/white color.
JlIppFh.jpg

Man, night and day difference. Nice looking endlers.

It works pretty quick on smaller tanks. I've got it in a 29 I neglected now and at the 3 day mark it's only cleared up a few inches on the bottom. I used Seachem clarity in that tank and man it went BLACK. I was just trying different stuff for testing purposes.

Thanks! that my best drop of endlers yet. I bought 3 show quality males for my colony and they have made some good looking fish.

Soon as that 29 is clear it's ful steam ahead with more endler varieties. I love those little guys

Back
Top Bottom