Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2005, 02:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

about substrate heaters ...

I've read some interesting articles extolling the virtues of having substrate heating in planted tanks. Does anyone have/use a substrate heater? They appear to be expensive and not a comprehensive way to heat your tank by themselves, so ... do they really have that much benefit for a planted tank?

Old 01-10-2005, 04:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

In simple terms: no, they aren't all that amazing. I'd say 99% of the planted tank photos you see use no substrate heating system. And no they aren't supposed to heat the whole tank...just provide some warmth under the root system.

Old 01-10-2005, 04:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks malkore ... I just thought I'd ask around here since the article said that the substrate heating did a few things that were helpful ... 1. creates a convection current (ie: warm water circulating up from bottom to top) and 2. kept the substrate warm which helped to prevent plants' roots from rotting.

I was just curious if anyone here had actually tried a substrate heater or knew anything more about it.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not saying substrate heating won't benefit...but it's certainly not necessary.
I believe it has more to do with creating convection/heating currents in the substrate, which improves waterflow around the roots, so they get better nutrient uptake.

I think they're just more hassel, and are probably more beneficial in the deep substrate tanks which are layered. Otherwise you end up with plant roots tangled around the cables, and then you remove plants and up come cables. Too much hassle for the minor benefit.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have read a number of articles about the cables. Circulating water around the roots? sounds like what a UGF does only for alot more money.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:04 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, they really do seem quite pricey for something you can get Malaysian Trumpet Snails to do for free. Anybody need any MTS BTW? I've got a few extras
Old 01-11-2005, 10:36 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Travis ... I'll be glad to take as many as you'll give up ... my yo-yo's love em !!!

Tags
eat, eater, heaters, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com