Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

About to Throw in the Towel

So over the last month ive been searching for lighting for my 40 gallon reef. Im seriously about to give up on a reef tank. I cant get a good priced light from anywhere here in canada. Ive looked into every site Possible, fishneedit t5 is the fixture i want but thier site honestly to me is built worse then aquatraders. Amazon and any other site in the states even a cheap 250 nova fixture from current has over 100$ for shipping. Locally marked up pet shops are about 450 for the current usa nova extreme. Go visit www.fishneedit.com then visit www.aquatraders.com do i really have to explain why i think odyssea looks better?

Old 01-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Have you thought about par30 or par38 bulbs? I have two par30 bulbs from boostled over my 20 and so far they are working great.. I have them suspended about 16 inches above the tank and my trumpet is looking great, button poly is so-so but I think it was from a lack I flow and possibly to much light.. I tweaked it today so hopefully it will improve.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you looked into taotronics LEDs? They ship out of China so getting them into canada shouldn't be any different then the US
Old 01-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
Have you looked into taotronics LEDs? They ship out of China so getting them into canada shouldn't be any different then the US
+1 on this ^^^^

It's a good and popular light. Also the Par30's and 38's are good as well...

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

^my next lights will probably be either taorronics or ill build a DIY fixture from rapidled
Old 01-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is budget an issue? In sorry to hear about your frustration. Are you close to a big city? Maybe try Craig's list. I know MR. X was selling halides.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Something else you might try...look for fixtures that meet the criteria you want but that aren't sold as "aquarium lights". I'm an electrical contractor and have found that building fixtures with the same specs are cheaper sometimes than "aquarium lights".
Old 01-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ive decided to go leds, hopefully i can get them on my tank, i cant hang from the ceiling due to cheap old completely sealed drop ceiling with cheap sealed ceiling tiles... i want the leds from china off ebay, there so many, ill post a few links which ones should i get? and how could i mount this on my aquarium? as hanging from the ceiling ISNOT an option
Dimmable led aquarium light 120W marineland led aquarium light | eBay

Dimmable 165W Led AQUARIUM Grow Light Royal Blue 10000K White Marine Coral Reef | eBay

55*3w 1pc Dimmable LED Aquarium Lights fish tank for marine Free Shipping | eBay

Dimmable Led Aquarium Lights 150W Colorful Coral Reef Tank lighting 3W LED light | eBay
Old 01-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Check out reefbreeder.com I think they ship to Ca
paulweck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I actually have the 36" quad t5 fixture from aquatraders.com and I love it!! My dad also has the same and loves his too!! I have soft and lps corals and they r doing great! I have heard people talk about the ballasts getting hot but I can run my lights all day and the ballast feels like cold metal.... Not even close to being slightly warm.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com