AC 110 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Redd said:
Man all you guys/gals are great. this is the info I needed months ago. Lesson learned, but sadly at the expense of some bettas I really liked.

We all sometimes learn the hard way. But now being on the forum and having the knowledge maybe we can stop someone from making the mistakes we made :)

The people in the fish stores often know less than we think, use the biomedia and sponges and they will last forever.

BillD said:
... Snip ...The sponges will last for many years and only need to be cleaned regularly by squeezing the debris from them in a container of tank water, when doing water changes. The ceramic tubes should last pretty much forever. That is the beauty of AC filters, as once you have them you have no more ongoing media expenses.

Thanks for stating that so clearly. I just got an AC50 and have been trying to figure out if I should rinse or change per Hagen recommendations. Rinse it is!

Don't change, just clean. I have been using the same sponges in my AC's for 5+ years. I also prefer to run two sponges rather than the rings. I like the extra filtration and I find that the sponges offer more than enough area for bacteria to grow.

Back
Top Bottom