Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2011, 01:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

AC 110 question

Do you use all the bells and whistles that the filter comes with? Sponge, carbon and whatever that bag of what look likes round hollow shells. I just used it all.

Question is... How do you run your AC 110? I have 1 110 with the carbon and 1 AC with the ammonia out bag. The store was running a special and it came with it so I figured one carbon and one of the other.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

IMO Ditch the carbon. Not needed, waste of money. And ditch the ammonia absorbing stuff. The BB consumes the ammonia, no need for it.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two
IMO Ditch the carbon. Not needed, waste of money. And ditch the ammonia absorbing stuff. The BB consumes the ammonia, no need for it.
Ok so just the big white sponge that's it? What about those shell looking things? Why do they sell filters with all this stuff when it's not needed? That annoys me!!

Attachment 64634

Keep this stuff and ditch this?

Attachment 64635

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 12-08-2011, 02:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

The white things are ceramic rings. They have a porous surface for BB to grow in/on. They are your bio media so keep them!
BB grows on everything even carbon so don't throw too much media from your filter at once.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The white things are ceramic rings. They have a porous surface for BB to grow in/on. They are your bio media so keep them!
BB grows on everything even carbon so don't throw too much media from your filter at once.
Ok thanks. For now I'll keep everything. And when I save up its the fluval FX5!!

Old 12-08-2011, 02:16 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161

Ok thanks. For now I'll keep everything. And when I save up its the fluval FX5!!
Yay canister! IMO chuck the ammonia absorb stuff now. Will mess up your cycle.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Yay canister! IMO chuck the ammonia absorb stuff now. Will mess up your cycle.
Really?!?! Wonderful!!! Like right now?! At 1:20am? I'll do it! Should I? For real?!

EDIT: waiting for MUMMA to respond.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:24 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161

Really?!?! Wonderful!!! Like right now?! At 1:20am? I'll do it! Should I? For real?!

EDIT: waiting for MUMMA to respond.
In the morning will be fine. It's only been in there like two days right? Won't harm anything in that amount of time.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

In the morning will be fine. It's only been in there like two days right? Won't harm anything in that amount of time.
Yea tomorrow will be 2 days but I'm up now. My son decided he was hungry. What exactly does that ammonia out carbon thing do that screws up the cycle?

Old 12-08-2011, 03:06 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I did it now. I'm up anyway. So I just have the sponge, those shell things for BB and the media from my old penguin.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com