AC 110 too much for 20g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The intake would barely be above the substrate, and the water flow would be like an outboard motor in a bathtub. Entirely too much current for fish that don't live in fast-moving streams.

toddnbecka said:
The intake would barely be above the substrate, and the water flow would be like an outboard motor in a bathtub. Entirely too much current for fish that don't live in fast-moving streams.

Actually the intake is a lot higher then say a marineland. The AC is way higher up. The marineland is about an inch from the substrate where the AC is about 2-3 inches. Not sure if that matters or comes into play. You can tone down the AC marineland you can't. I'm just marineland as an example.

You can only reduce the flow a little bit and at it's lowest setting i think it will still be constantly stirring up the substrate unless you are using pea gravel. You could maybe reduce the flow more by putting some filter floss at the bottom of the output. Wont hurt to try using it while cycling the tank and if it's too much you can then get a smaller one.

Yes^^
Try a sponge on the input and the output as well as turning it to the lowest setting. That should slow the flow down enough IMO.
Mrs convict, welcome to fish keeping! :D

i've also heard of a method using a gatorade bottle to diffuse flow. i've never actually seen one but it might be worth a google search...

IME, lowest flow on AC makes it louder, but then again, my AC is an alien.

And the bottle method is easy.

I cut the side of a clear plastic bottle off to match the length and width of the return, and triple-duct taped it under the return. The water hits the bottle and reduces the output flow first.

I did this on my cichlid tank until I got a new filter. I was running a monstrously over-filtering Marineland Emperor, given to me by a friend.

Hope this helps.

QuietPlotter said:
IME, lowest flow on AC makes it louder, but then again, my AC is an alien.

And the bottle method is easy.

I cut the side of a clear plastic bottle off to match the length and width of the return, and triple-duct taped it under the return. The water hits the bottle and reduces the output flow first.

I did this on my cichlid tank until I got a new filter. I was running a monstrously over-filtering Marineland Emperor, given to me by a friend.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! I'll try that.

Back
Top Bottom