AC 110 vs Pengun Emperor 400

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScaryFatKidGT

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have a 150g XT with 2 whisper 30-60's on it, just because they came with it, I want to run a HOB+canister and am wondering about the HOB. My favorite and loved Fluval C4 wont fit on it because the 1/2 glass and top trim are to thick.

The whispers are very noisy making humming clanking noises where my Fluval is almost silent other than the falling water. Whats quieter the Emperor or the AC? or are they both about the same? I haven't had good luck with smaller AC's in the past and really like the Fluval C's but they don't make anything larger that would fit.

I'm planning on either a 406 or FX6 for the canister.

I just switched from the emperor 400's to the AC110's and they are by far quieter.

I will say this though, the emperor's are a much better plastic, I was never worried about bumping and breaking it like with the AC's.

Well I went with the AC 110 as it was said to be quieter (no wheels or spraybar makes sense) and pumps more water. I got lucky and have about 1mm of clearance behind the AC 110 tot he wall behind my tank lol as I'm not moving 150g of water. A couple issues however...

1. I don't like AC's water seems to be able to get around the filter media? and the media basket is a PITA to get out.

2. I like the 2 exit style of whisper 60's and penguin 350-400 emperor better than the 1 huge waterfall of the AC 110 as it flows and disturbs water nearly 20" into my tank, also the flow control seems like 85%-100, not much adjustment compared to my Fluval C4 where you can just about turn the **** thing off, I'd say 30%-100.

Well I went with the AC 110 as it was said to be quieter (no wheels or spraybar makes sense) and pumps more water. I got lucky and have about 1mm of clearance behind the AC 110 tot he wall behind my tank lol as I'm not moving 150g of water. A couple issues however...

1. I don't like AC's water seems to be able to get around the filter media? and the media basket is a PITA to get out.

2. I like the 2 exit style of whisper 60's and penguin 350-400 emperor better than the 1 huge waterfall of the AC 110 as it flows and disturbs water nearly 20" into my tank, also the flow control seems like 85%-100, not much adjustment compared to my Fluval C4 where you can just about turn the **** thing off, I'd say 30%-100.
If you use aquarium safe Teflon duct tape on the goofy side holes, all water is forced to the bottom and must pass through all filter media. That AC sponge is was too coarse. of course, and I assume you are putting tightly packed floss in to get to fine debris out of the water. I can only run my AC50 at about 70% of capacity this way, however, or unfiltered dumps back into the tank.

Too bad they don't make a C5. I love my two c3's and my C4. My AquaClear 50 is nothing more than an obsolete relic by comparison as I've mentioned in other posts.

If you use aquarium safe Teflon duct tape on the goofy side holes, all water is forced to the bottom and must pass through all filter media. That AC sponge is was too coarse. of course, and I assume you are putting tightly packed floss in to get to fine debris out of the water. I can only run my AC50 at about 70% of capacity this way, however, or unfiltered dumps back into the tank.

Too bad they don't make a C5. I love my two c3's and my C4. My AquaClear 50 is nothing more than an obsolete relic by comparison as I've mentioned in other posts.
Well it goes threw by the finger hole too, the whole area above the motor doesn't make sense to me?

Yeah I'm mean the AC's are simpler? I wish they would make a 2 stage sponge like C's, or 2 sponges, the one on the 110 is HUGE lol.

The area above the impeller is "open" to allow one to pull the impeller housing out of the filter for maintenance. That's my guess.
As for the splash back and force from a single water fall, you can divert the flow by using a piece of plastic that is found with the glass canopy tops. That's the strip that attaches to the back pane of glass. It's plastic and meant to be cut to allow for filters and heaters to fit. Anyhow, measure the width of the waterfall section of the AC110 (this can be applied to different HOB filters) and cut the plastic strip to match the width. Next, take the part that would attach to the glass pane and attach it to the a HOB. You may need to use some pliers to crimp the "grippy" part for a snug fit. You can heat the plastic using hot water and bend it to a curve that best suite your needs (flow along the top, flow at a 45 degree angle down, etc). If find that the flow along to top is quieter and less disruptive to the fish, plants, and substrate.
I posted a thread on this some time ago and of I find it I will post the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom