AC 70 or Whisper EX70 for 29 gallon...too much GPH??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yankeeslover

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello and how is everyone? sorry if this is the wrong place for this as im brand new to this site.. I have a brand new 29 gallon tank that i recieved for xmas. I am just getting back into the hobby after a 6 year layoff.. I am familer with the cycle process and i am currently cycling w/5 zebra danios. I Know about the fishless cycle but i think its a case of old habits being hard to break..anyway cycling is going good... for my question, the top fin tank came with the topfin 30 filter, I am throwing this filter in the trash first chance i get. I have two filters picked out that im choosing from, the AC70 and whisper EX70.. i just plan on doing a general community tank.. no goldfish or chiclids, just a community tank w/mosty danios, corys and maybe a showcase fish(thats my next thread).. First off are the 70 gallon versions of these two filters gonna be too much gph for my 29 gallon tank or should i go with the AC50/EX50? also, between the two which one is a better filter? the whisper is a tad cheaper around me. I plan on doing weekly water changes as before i was very very upkeep on my tank..im just banging head on wall between the whisper and the AC.. I love the look of the Whisper though... i also dont plan on using my own media in either filter. i dont mind spending every now and then on the store media so this is not an issue.. so to recap, AC or Whisper and is the 70 versions too much gph for a 29 gallon community tank? thank you very very much..

use the aquaclear 70, it has the flow control which could restrict the flow to 1/3 of the maximum flow.70 gph is ok for a 29 gallon tank,my tank has two aquaclear 50 and the water is crystal clear

For what it's worth, I used to run the EX45 and my CF-300 canister for a grand total of around 500gph on a 26g at the same time, never saw any signs whatsoever that there was too much current! Plenty of filtration, and everyone was happy.

I'd go with the Aquaclear, I didn't much care for the Whisper - it broke on me well before it's due date. Heck, even go a size bigger if you feel the need!

When it comes to filtration, more is ALWAYS better. The ratings on the boxes for these filters is it's maximum capacity, not it's recommended capacity. I would always choose something significantly higher than my tank size. Case in point, I have a Fluval 305 on my 37 gallon tank. The 305 is rated for a 75 gallon tank. It does the same job as one of the smaller filters (better, IMHO) but doesnt have to work as hard to do so. Unless there is so much pressure that your fish are having a problem swimming in the current, you shouldnt have to make any adjustments, but if you do have the need the capability is there.

Back
Top Bottom