AC 70 too much for 20g tall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whiskey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new 20g tall that is just getting started. I ended up with a AC 70 as the store didn't have a smaller one and now I am thinking it is overkill. This thing moves a tremendous about of water even on its lowest setting. Super strong suction (even covered with debris from fresh planting) and heavy top current.

What do you fine folks think? Anything I can or should do with this? or take it back and get a different pump in a smaller variety?

Thanks for reading.

Cheers,

Whiskey

I personally would take it back if its to much. I usually buy over but not that much. I probably would have only went at most one rated for a 45

I've also been advised to put foam or panty hose around the power head to keep things safe. I think I will give it a shot, and see how it does. If still looks to be too much, I will see if they will take it back.

I've also been advised to put foam or panty hose around the power head to keep things safe. I think I will give it a shot, and see how it does. If still looks to be too much, I will see if they will take it back.

I don't think that's going to slow it down enough. I thought about telling you to do that but ^^ ya

Install an impeller for a 50 or a 30 (they use the same motor).It will reduce flow while maintaining the large foam, and should you get a bigger tank, you can move the filter over and reinstall the 70 impeller.

Install an impeller for a 50 or a 30 (they use the same motor).It will reduce flow while maintaining the large foam, and should you get a bigger tank, you can move the filter over and reinstall the 70 impeller.

Where would I source an impeller from? Looks like it just pulls straight out the top is this correct?

Putting more media in your filter and placing a sponge around the intake will slow it down some.

i have already removed the carbon and put a second sponge in its place.. haven't yet put anything on the intake. Tank is empty as we are currently trying come up with a better arrangement after working the mess out of the substrate.

I have an AC70 in my 20 gallon that I use as a grow out tank for my yellow labs. I've tried using panty hose over the intake and it clogs up way too fast. Foam may work better. I over filter all my tanks but don't think this is overkill. The impeller from an AC50 is a good idea to slow flow.

I will be going back to petsmart sometime this week to take back some un-needed things that I already had. will look and see if they have an impeller. If not I will dig the net and see what I can find. right now I have the panty hose on it, which has slowed it down quite a bit...though the wife wants is off :D

Here is a link of the 20 we've been talking about, since i got it running again before dinner.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f19/my-new-20g-250617.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom