AC 70 vs Penguin 200 & 350 bio-wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ceej

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Looking for some input on these filters (or something else you think is better.) Not really looking to go all out and spend over $100 on a filter like the Fx5 that I've heard is phenomenal. Throw what you know at me. Gimme some ideas.

I run an AquaClear 70 on my tank and I haven't had any problems with it. When I originally bought my tank used, it came with an older AC filter and when it died I replaced it. The media is easy to replace and reasonably priced. It's a quiet filter and easy to clean. I've never used a Bio-Wheel filter so I can't comment on it. It you can find the Aqua Clear on sale, I'd say go for it! Good Luck.

I have both AC70 and Penguin 350 running on my 60 gal. I like the AC70 just a bit because of the flexibility of the media you can put in. Both seems to be quiet for me. One thing I like about the Penguin 350 better is the water outflow, it seems to produce great water agitation but less bubbles. But IMO, I think they are both superb HOB filters.

I like the AC70 better than the Penguin 200. I've used both on my 29g. The stock cartridges for the Penguin are junk. They clog up really fast. I made my own and it was a good filter until I switched to sand substrate. The filter started screaming pretty quickly. The AC70 hasn't had any problems with the sand and it has a lot more media volume.

BigJim said:
I like the AC70 better than the Penguin 200. I've used both on my 29g. The stock cartridges for the Penguin are junk. They clog up really fast. I made my own and it was a good filter until I switched to sand substrate. The filter started screaming pretty quickly. The AC70 hasn't had any problems with the sand and it has a lot more media volume.

Thanks for mentioning sand. I'm thinking of layering my gravel with sand substrate (or just taking out all the gravel.. Idk yet) so I guess aquaclear is the way to go. I looked at them on amazon.com and will be getting one soon.

Both are good avenues for filtration. The Marineland filters with the biowheel are great and very reliable in my experience.

The AquaClear filters are more flexible as far as media is concerned - you can hardly go wrong with either choice.

Batt4Christ said:
Both are good avenues for filtration. The Marineland filters with the biowheel are great and very reliable in my experience.

The AquaClear filters are more flexible as far as media is concerned - you can hardly go wrong with either choice.

Yeah, I've kind of gathered that. That's why it's a tough choice. I'll try the AC, then the Penguin later on down the road in my next tank. Trial and error I guess lol.

It you can find the Aqua Clear on sale, I'd say go for it! Good Luck.

Both are good. Like everyone else said aqua clear gives more options as far as media. I run a penguin 350 and a AC 110 on my 55g and love them both. There both quiet.

nany2204 said:
It you can find the Aqua Clear on sale, I'd say go for it! Good Luck.

Amazon.com has the 70 for cheap. Going to buy it in the next week or so.

AC 70 works like a charm! Thanks for all the advice.

Ceej said:
AC 70 works like a charm! Thanks for all the advice.

I take that back. Today my filter stopped working completely. I plugged it into a different outlet, into a power strip, drained the filter, etc. Nothing made it come back on. Maybe I git a lemon; I don't know. Taking it back and getting the penguin 200 or tetra whisper. The AC was kind if noisy, too, but the water flow was great and my rank was crystal clear.

Since I'm currently cycling my tank, what's going to happen if all I have on is my air pump? Is it going to ruin the cycle? The filter stopped working about an hour ago, and I won't have a new one hooked up til 630 Tuesday evening. That's 20.5 hours :/

I take that back. Today my filter stopped working completely. I plugged it into a different outlet, into a power strip, drained the filter, etc. Nothing made it come back on. Maybe I git a lemon; I don't know. Taking it back and getting the penguin 200 or tetra whisper. The AC was kind if noisy, too, but the water flow was great and my rank was crystal clear.

Since I'm currently cycling my tank, what's going to happen if all I have on is my air pump? Is it going to ruin the cycle? The filter stopped working about an hour ago, and I won't have a new one hooked up til 630 Tuesday evening. That's 20.5 hours :/
If the air pump is on an ug filter no it wont interfere it will still produce the bb. It also will not interfere with the cycle if not because the good bacteria you want at the end of a cycle is only going to do any good if it is formed in the filter bio media. so in short it will not do anything wont help or not help. IMO i would get another aqua clear they are a far superior filter its all i use.

Back
Top Bottom