ac filters self prime if power goes out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nextgeneration40

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hypothetically, if im at work and the power goes out for a while and comes back on does an aqua clear filter self prime and run or sit there and run dry till the motor burns?

The AC filters only lose their prime if you drain the tank below the filter end of the intake tube. Otherwise they maintain siphon and stay primed.

Typically they do. I ran into one instance when the power went out for a few minutes and then came back on. It lost its prime somehow and was running dry when I get home from work. That same filter has been working for years though and that is the only time it has ever happened.

I have 2 aquaclear hob's. If I lose power, my aquaclear 20 will not run until I pour water into it. The 50 starts right up and works fine. I have had this happen several times and the results are always the same. Fortunately, the 20 hasnt gotten damaged although it did get pretty hot once.

My Fluval 305 canister has no issues at all :) , one of the big advantages (IMHO).

My ac 30 lost power and started right back up. My tetra pf 10 (peice of junk) is self priming so it didn't matter.

To my recollection, my AC 50 always has had to be primed after unplugging / power failure.

bengoshi2000 said:
To my recollection, my AC 50 always has had to be primed after unplugging / power failure.

I think I know why this happens... its kind of hard to explain. I will post pictures and explain in another post

Alright, I finally drew a diagram...

The filter is running normally.
View attachment 61020

Power failure. Filter stops. Intake tubes empties and creates a siphon (explained in diagram 3)
View attachment 61021

Water is siphoned into the little hole that the intake tube slides onto to adjust flow. It goes up through the intake tube back to the tank.
View attachment 61022

My possible solution: seal that little hole if you never need/want to adjust flow.
I will try this soon and let you know how it works out.

Following, my AC drains during a water change, didn't realize it on my old one and it ran dry all night. Didn't sound to nice.

Mine have always started back up on power failure. i do keep water level at or above rim line so I'd imagine that helps with start-up having to suck up less water.

I am currently running an AC50 with no power outages yet. But i have had 3 AC20'S that have reprimed themselves during a power outage.

The first one I had reprimed itself after 2 days of power outage when my apt building had a fire (needless to say my fish were not happy) but i have never had an issue with repriming unless the water lvl dropped below the inlet..ussually from doing a big water change.

I hope the AC50 will do the same.

Back
Top Bottom