AC Flow Rate Mod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

01n3on

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I remember reading somewhere that the impeller from larger ACs can be used in the smaller ACs to increase flow. Can anyone verify this information? I did a Google search but can't find it. Also, what is the largest impeller usable in the 150/30 without water overflowing around the intake tube or into the floor? Anybody got enough aquaclears to see and maybe take pics of the outflow of them so I can get a better idea of what impeller I need? I'm sure pushing water through a smaller space will cut flow down some and I can tell how much flow will be needed by the look of the output. I really hate to waste money doing trial and error but if I can't get this figured out through you guys then I guess I will and post here for future reference.

Thanks,
Daniel

Never tried it with an AC, but I did use a Xp4 impeller in a XP 2 and XP 3 and it did increase the flow some. I don't know if an AC would overflow onto the floor. Should just run out the overflow spillway, like when the filter material is clogged. Now you have peaked my interest, I will try a 110 impeller in a 70. Those are the only 2 sizes I have. I'll post back after I try it.

I'm wanting to put a 70/300 impeller in a 200/50 for my ten gallon. My fish love playing in a strong current but I'm over having 3 hob on the back of the tank. I just want one with a ton of flow and no cartridges...I'm over changing those things. Rinsing does no good even with tap water and high water pressure so I have to change them out all the time

foster53 said:
Never tried it with an AC, but I did use a Xp4 impeller in a XP 2 and XP 3 and it did increase the flow some. I don't know if an AC would overflow onto the floor. Should just run out the overflow spillway, like when the filter material is clogged. Now you have peaked my interest, I will try a 110 impeller in a 70. Those are the only 2 sizes I have. I'll post back after I try it.

The ac 110 has a larger motor and impeller magnet so I doubt it will work....the 70 and under just use different impellers and the same motor

The impeller from the 110 worked fine in the 70. Did increase the flow, and did not come out the overflow.;)

Sweet...now I gotta order the parts lol

Is it any louder with the 110 impeller?

Remember, this was on the larger filters, with big filter boxes. I don't know how it might work with smaller capacity filters. Some experimentation is in order:lol:

Well with this experiment I'll post pics and the results for future reference

Excellent!! If it works out you might have started a new trend. Don't buy new, bigger filters, just bigger impellers. :lol: Keep us posted on your results!!

Yes unless you need more biological space and maybe a lower flow then just go backwards...run an ac 70 with a ac20 impeller for maybe 5 or 10 gallons

01n3on said:
Yes unless you need more biological space and maybe a lower flow then just go backwards...run an ac 70 with a ac20 impeller for maybe 5 or 10 gallons

Okay, this has my interest. I have recently used a AC 30 as a hob refugium, in the hopes that I can get some pods to grow in there with the LR and chaeto. But I think it has too much flow for the pods to do well. Maybe I can put an AC 10 or 20 impeller in the 30 and slow it down some? Anyone think that will actually work?

Yes that will work. Just Google "ac filter mods" you will find tons of results of people doing that. I just wondered if it would work the other way around. So far the 110 impeller in the 70 worked....but I gotta wait till my order gets here to be able to tell about the smaller models

Back
Top Bottom