AC50 with AC20 impeller?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

10Gallon

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was thinking about replacing the AC20 on my 10G with an AC50 because the media compartment of the 20 is so small. But I'm afraid even at flow set at minimum the 50 will still have too high a flow rate. Can I reduce it by putting a 20 impeller on the 50?

Hello 10...

You could. But, you have enough filter in the AC20 for your tank. Filters don't really do a good job of keeping the tank water clean. If you just remove and replace most the water twice a week, your tank will run fine with the smaller filter.

B

I believe the motors are interchangeable, if the impeller fits it should work.

Depending on how much media you put in the 50 I would think the more media the slower the flow rate. If the impeller works go for it and see what kind of flow you get. If it isn't enough then swap it out with the original 50 impeller and try that. If you wanted to add the 50 unchanged, a lot of people are blocking off some of the intake to slow the flow rate as well.

I ordered an AC20 impeller with my order at Ken's Fish. I'll probably shoot a video of the comparison and post it on Youtube. And put the link here.

Back
Top Bottom