Accessing Your Canister Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plumwd

Aquarium Advice Activist
How do you guys access your canister filters? I'm in the process of setting up an 80 gallon aquarium, and just received my filter. I ordered the Marineland C-530. I didn't realize how HUGE it was going to be. It will not fit through the front door of my stand, only through the back.

When you clean them each month do you slide your stand out or go through the front door?

Hello there and welcome to AA

It looks like you are in a bit of a conundrum, because once you get 80 gallons of water in the tank it will weigh around 800 pounds. Are you really going to be able to be able to move it every time you need access to your filter?

I would suggest that you either get the stand modified, or purchase one that the filter will fit in through the door.

Plus 1 - I slide mine out the front after disconnecting the hoses. Also make sure turning off the hose taps where you disconnect from is easy to do.

Yeah thats gonna be a problem. Unless you have room in there to pop off the top of it and take the pieces out to rinse/clean when you need to. Hurts my back just thinking about doing it that way.
Why did you go with the 530 over the 360?

Plum,

I saw your other post, and the pictures of your stand. It's a shame that the stand builder made those doors so small.

Is the tank full yet?

Even if it is - but better yet if it's not - I think it'd be an easy modification to cut larger door openings in the stand. The photos appear to show plywood fronts, and it should be easy to cut those door openings wider.

Plywood can be cut to size at a local lumberyard for the new doors.

And I'd bet you've still got some stain leftover from refinishing.

Once you get it all together, definitely get some quick disconnects for the canister.

Best of luck with your project.

Why did you go with the 530 over the 360?
I wanted to be sure that I had enough filtration so I chose something larger for over-filtration. When I did the setup at AqAdvisor with the 360 it suggested I add a larger filter.

I was able to get in through the front door today and remove the top. Could be a pain if/when the whole unit has to come out.

Back
Top Bottom