Acclimating corals to new light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all! I used to have a 2 bulb PC but just upgraded to a 4 bulb T5HO. My question is, do i just pop on the new light, or slowly acclimate the corals to a new, stronger light over time? How?

I have a standard 30 gallon tank, with my corals being xenia, frogspawn, toadstool, and candycanes.:) Thanks!

I forgot exactly the plan, but I read that you can put layers of screen under the light and every few days remove one to let more light through. Until there is no screen left.

spoonman said:
I forgot exactly the plan, but I read that you can put layers of screen under the light and every few days remove one to let more light through. Until there is no screen left.

Should i try this with wire screen? I have some, and i could put it right on the lid.

ALSO, this light is on legs now! The other was right on top. So does this make a difference? Could i just flip them on then?

LOL I thought everyone kept that stuff around. But seriously, use some screens or something similar. Just want the light to be diffused a bit so the corals arent getting burned.

I guess a metal screen could work, just make sure there is no splashing. :)

You are talking about a light with pretty good heat coming from it, I sure wouldnt suggest a flammable blanket. LOL

carey said:
I guess a metal screen could work, just make sure there is no splashing. :)

You are talking about a light with pretty good heat coming from it, I sure wouldnt suggest a flammable blanket. LOL

Lol! How about a couple layers of screen...good?

carey said:
Sounds good. After a day or two take a layer off and repeat til all the layers are gone.

And how many layers? I have quite a bit of mesh, but i was planning on using some for a new lid:/ maybe i can fold it lol

Hey guys it is up on the tank and it looks awesome! New light pics! We put the wire netting under it so the corals acclimate, and we folded it a few times

Just seeing this post but you can adjust the amount of time the lights are on say 3 hrs one day then slowly increase the amount of time until you've reach your max running time.

Noneck56 said:
Just seeing this post but you can adjust the amount of time the lights are on say 3 hrs one day then slowly increase the amount of time until you've reach your max running time.

Oohhh ya that would have been easier

Just cutting back the amount of time will still leave your corals burned. Like if you go in the bright sun, does it matter if it's 8 hours or 4 hours? You still get a sunburn.....

Back
Top Bottom