Acrylic cube thickness question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pendergraft2111

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was given this tank by a gentleman that never used it. I filled it with water to test for leaks, which I found none. The issue I am having is I noticed a slight bulge in the middle when it was full. At first I wasn't concerned but before I drill it and set it up I wanted to double check. It looks to be 1/4 inch thick and according to my research it is euro braced. Please shatter my concern so I can enjoy what should be a dream tank for me.

Thanks in advance
Anthony

Attachments

• image-1610447531.jpg
    image-1610447531.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 83
  • image-1378171668.jpg
    image-1378171668.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 104
So I have decided I don't want to risk it. I am going to cut the tank in half in make a rimless tank. But I want to one up it and make 2 out of it. My plan is to cut the top off then cut it in half. Next i want to attach a new base to the top half... making 2 identical rimless tanks. My only concern is how to I make a cut that big, perfectly straight? any ideas?

Find the center an mark it then make corresponding marks all the way around. Take your time and connect the marks. File/sandpaper long enough to touch both sides of the top will be your best bet on getting it even.

I had the same issue with a tank I bought on cl. I did the same thing I cut the tank. It was 18" and I cut it down to 10" since it was 48" wide. Kinda made it into a frag tank. I have pics of everything if you'd like to see. I cut it with a jigsaw but it's very hard to get it perfectly straight so sanding will he needed and you'll also need to spray water as you cut cause the acrylic melts with the heat of the blade.

Great idea with the water. I didn't think of that. I was thinking of taping it up like crazy and using a table saw with a high toothed blade ( metal maybe). I really want to save enough of the top to turn it into 2 matching tanks.

The table saw will probably give you the straightest cut but the blade spins super fast and has alot of contact with the acrylic which would get really hot. but thats how the acrylic companies cut the sheets they just have sawblades that are constantly sparying something on it. either way if it melts alittle you could always sand it away just dont let it weld with the blade or back together. i was gonna add some pics but i think i can only upload them from the web and thats a pain lol

Back
Top Bottom