Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
acrylic of glass?

Ok so I'm pretty sure this had been asked to death but I could find it when I searched it. What type of tank should I buy, acrylic or glass. Its going to be 100-150gal. I know the pros and cons too both, the strength, the clarity, ect. I have had 2 acrylics, one was my dads 120 and the other is my 35 that I took down when I moved. They were great but they scratched way too easily. So I guess what I'm asking is the pro to acrylic worth dealing with how easily it scratches. Also I have heard about Starfire glass or something, it's clearer be it scratches easier thar normal glass. Does anyone have any insight on this? Thanks

Badfishofbabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Sliced Bread

I'm a glass guy personally.

In the DC Metro Area? Check out GWAPA and WAMAS
neilanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Starfire glass scratches just the same as regular glass. It looks great but is very costly.
-----SCRK member-----
Follow me on twitter: Reefer_Addict
six2sevenproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
+1 for glass. Don't like the scratch potential of acrylic.
125 gal mixed REEF
PrettyFishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Acrylic is lightweight and doesn't distort colors, but it scratches easily.

Glass is heavy and may distort colors slightly, but it's pretty tough.

Starphire glass (low-iron) doesn't distort colors and it's tough, but it's heavy and expensive.

If money and weight are no object, I'd go with a custom tank with Starphire glass for the front and sides. In reality, if you've got a few strong friends, I'd go with glass. It's cheaper and it holds up better than acrylic.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
I have personally never owned an acrylic tank but one benefit I could see would be not having the seals on the edges and even having rounded edges.

Can acrylic change color over time? For example clear to yellow the way plastics do.
Lawngnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to pat8you
+1 Acrylic Scratches to easily. If you have the money i would go starphire but it is expensive.
pat8you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
It hasn't been mentioned yet, but acrylic is a better heat insulator. Both glass and acrylic have horrible insulating values, but acrylic is quite a bit better then glass. If the tank temperature is going to be significantly different from ambient temperature, then acrylic is definately worth considering. If it's a coldwater tank then acrylic is less likely to get condensation.
"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing" A. Einstein
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."
"We can do anything we want to if we stick to it long enough." Helen Keller
Deep Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular
I havea 185-gallon acrylic tank which has held up very well. Acrylic is 3 or 4 times as strong as glass, and it is flexible so it won't crack under stress. Alas, acrylic is a kind of plastic so it scratches easily. Either/or - for a large tank I would go with acrylic because of lighter weight and greater strength.

Laurence is offline   Reply With Quote

acrylic, glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com