Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2006, 09:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to chris stevens
acrylic scratch repair

Anyone found a good system for removing fine scratches from acrylic aquariums? possibly even underwater?

Old 01-11-2006, 09:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

As far as I know...the water has to be emptied to work out scratches inside the tank. For outside, there are several types of scratch removing kits you can buy. These include bottles of liquid that need to be buffed over the scratches. Some kits include a buff pad. Advancement in technology seems to have skipped this area of aquarium keeping...LOL. I understand your frustration.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I bought this stuff because my tank got scratched trying to get the monster in the house. I expected to be buffing for 15 minutes but scratch was gone in 30 seconds. I was amazed. Great stuff. Advancement in technolgogy is right on schedule with this stuff Not sure if this is the same guy I bought from but it is the right stuff.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Novus-123-Acryli...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-11-2006, 03:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to chris stevens
anybody ever used the extremely fine grade sandpaper kits they sell?
Old 01-11-2006, 04:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I promise you the stuff I posted above is better than sand paper. I am guessing it has some kind of polymer etc to fill the scratch because there is not way I buffed enough to physically remove the scratch.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to jester Send a message via Yahoo to jester
I did find underwater buffers to fix scratches but they are like 80 bucks so i am just living with the scratch for now i bookmarked them i will try to find it again i will post back but they are out there
my tank for now is a 60g with a little live sand and then just play sand I got 80 pounds of live rock now I have a wet dry with no bio balls and a protein skimmer and uv steralizer I have power compacts 260 watts I have 1 damsels 1yellow tang 1 flame angel one yellow strip maroon clownfishand and a feather duster and a bulb anemones that the clown lives in and colony polops and some kenya tree corals and 2 fire shrimp snails and hermit crabs and some other crabs

i just got a 40g with like 6 inches of live sand and it is loaded with corals and inverts it was given to me by a friend she had it for 3 years there is a brain coral wellsophyllia and a platygyra brain worm coral green striped mushrooms and red mushrooms yellow colony polyp and button polyp and some type of hard coral not sure what it is also alot of kenya tree oh ya and 2 giant star fish
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 05:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to jester Send a message via Yahoo to jester
here i found this one i have no clue if it works well or not i did not get it

http://www.fishdudes.com/ScratchKit.htm
my tank for now is a 60g with a little live sand and then just play sand I got 80 pounds of live rock now I have a wet dry with no bio balls and a protein skimmer and uv steralizer I have power compacts 260 watts I have 1 damsels 1yellow tang 1 flame angel one yellow strip maroon clownfishand and a feather duster and a bulb anemones that the clown lives in and colony polops and some kenya tree corals and 2 fire shrimp snails and hermit crabs and some other crabs

i just got a 40g with like 6 inches of live sand and it is loaded with corals and inverts it was given to me by a friend she had it for 3 years there is a brain coral wellsophyllia and a platygyra brain worm coral green striped mushrooms and red mushrooms yellow colony polyp and button polyp and some type of hard coral not sure what it is also alot of kenya tree oh ya and 2 giant star fish
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 05:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

OUCH! Pricey. You should be able to get the same grit paper they have through a auto paint shop. It is the paper they use for wet sanding.

Tags
acrylic, repair

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com